The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats the general rule of thumb to how many shrimps per gallon of tank?

I have a 20 gal tank with glow-tetras and planning on getting more shrimp (currently have 3 jalapino (sp?) shrimps.

Im also debating on setting up a small shrimp jungle.. 5 or 10 gallons.

and which shrimps do not get along with another? I want to get a variety for color and such.

·
Registered
486 Posts
The comparability chart is to show interbreeding. All Neocaridina and Caridina name shrimp will coexist fine.

You can house Amano, and Bumblebee shrimp with any other shrimp because they will not interbreed.

Cheers,
Justin

·
Registered
167 Posts
wow...you can keep so many shrimp in a small tank?
i have a 3 gallon with 10cherry shrimps and 5 CRS and a few orange shrimps and i tought that i was already superovercrowded

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
It really has to do with the surface area in the tank. I hope you wouldn't keep 100 CRS in a bare bottom tank...

Depending on what you're willing to do with filtration your max number is probably upwards of 500 then actual space constraints come into play. Realize that this is when breeding is the pure focus.

I like to keep 50 or so adults in a 10g, I usually start with an initial population of 10-20 and once 50 or so is hit I start culling them.

-Andrew

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.