The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to shrimp & my first shipment of RCS arrived today & a Big Thank You to Johnny313.......

So, here's my 2 questions: Do Shrimp Jump or Climb out of tanks? They are in a 10g with water level about 2" from the top & I don't have a cover for the tank, Should It be covered?

They are cruising around their new home & seem very happy staying in the lower portion of the tank. I think they'll be fine but just in-case, figured I pose the question to the experts. Thanks for the help!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Hi lesley,

No, dwarf shrimps don't climb/jump out of tanks at all, unless you startle them.

:)

-Will

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Shrimp will try to escape if water quality is really bad, and amano shrimp in particular are known for being strong climbers and being fairly adventurous/suicidal. It would take a fairly heroic jump for an RCS to get 2" out of the water though. Best of luck with the new shrimp, I hope you enjoy them!

·
Registered
271 Posts
+1 on Patterson's comment. My experience has been that if the water temp and quality are OK, they will stay put. If not they may escape. I have seen some interesting climbs. Ironically I have had less of an issue since I took all the tops OFF of my tanks. While better pH control is likely part of the change, I think sometimes the tight spots created by the tops allow them to wedge themselves in and keep making their way upward, without the support they tend to fall back into the tank.

Escape routes usually involve air lines or heater cords (at least in my tank they did).

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
I have an external breeder box and found a crystal today that climbed all the way up the downpour thingy and was sitting there in the water stream this morning. couldn't get in the box with the grate on it, couldn't get back down the spout. Pushed down the water slide and off he went. Guess as long as constant water was going over him, he was fine. lol.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I've had several jump. If you have the water level close to the top of the tank, and you have a bunch of floating plants that the shrimp like to hang out on, it can happen. They get startled and "jump" backwards to get away. So if they're right up on the surface and jump, they will occasional jump themselves right out of the tank.

Otherwise no, they won't try to get out of the tank.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.