The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can any users of thee following products give me an idea of how much they affect TDS?

Mosura Old Sea Mud
Benibachi Mironekuton Powder (Old Sea Mud and Minerals)
Ebiken Kou Yin (Old Sea Mud)
Shakikura Liquid Mineral CA+

For the Liquid CA+, What makes it more suitable for a shrimp tank than other reminieralization products, like say Seachen Equilibrium or Salty Shrimp GH+?

I'm not attached to any particular products. Just looking for the right products for my shrimp tank.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
i use salty shrimp GH+ and i have heard from other members here it tends to be less "dirty" than other products as in it does not raise the tds as much. can i say personally no because i have not used other products. with that said just about anything you add to a tank will increase the tds a bit. even dechlores will raise tds. i know start right will raise it several points. i have not tested prime yet though

·
Banned
1,377 Posts
the reason Shirakura Liquid Mineral is thought of as cleaner than SS is because its a liquid form and doesn't require mixing of the the powder like SS does. Even when you mix up SS for a few mins you'll still have a few of the larger pieces at the bottom of your container for a little while longer.

I've used both and more often reach for Shirakura Liquid Mineral because I find it easier and I already know the total amount needed for my containers. No longer counting drips, I just measure out the total amount needed in a small measuring cup. Which is something I recommend for any liquid mineral.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the reason Shirakura Liquid Mineral is thought of as cleaner than SS is because its a liquid form and doesn't require mixing of the the powder like SS does. Even when you mix up SS for a few mins you'll still have a few of the larger pieces at the bottom of your container for a little while longer.

I've used both and more often reach for Shirakura Liquid Mineral because I find it easier and I already know the total amount needed for my containers. No longer counting drips, I just measure out the total amount needed in a small measuring cup. Which is something I recommend for any liquid mineral.
The convenience factor is a plus, and mixing everything together in a separate bucket prior to pouring it into the aquarium is clearly the way to go. Even still, I use powders now, and mixing them in the right amounts hasn't proved to be challenging nor much of an inconvenience.

What do you mean by cleaner?

Even still, being unattached to any particular product, is the mineral content of the products listed above any different? By that I mean are there certain ratios of Calcium, Magnesium, Potassium and other trace minerals that are more appropriate for shrimp? Is that accounted for in the shrimp advertised products versus something like Equilibrium?

Keep mentioning Equilibrium as it is my baseline. If there is a reason to replace it with one of the other products mentioned above for shrimp, then I will do it in a heartbeat.

And as for impact on TDS, good to know about the Salty Shrimp in this area. How does Liquid CA+ measure up here? My equilibrium raises the dH of the water by 2 dH per 1/4 teaspoon, and raises the tds by 40. Don't know if that is excessive or not.

·
Banned
1,377 Posts
Have you tried to google any of these products to find their product pages? The both contain great info about the questions you are asking and probably a lot more.

I'm not sure I understand your reasoning about Equilibrium, why wouldn't you use products specifically developed to have success with shrimp instead?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Have you tried to google any of these products to find their product pages? The both contain great info about the questions you are asking and probably a lot more.

I'm not sure I understand your reasoning about Equilibrium, why wouldn't you use products specifically developed to have success with shrimp instead?
That's why I posted this thread, to find out from others more experienced than I. It is as much about learning some of the specific and unique needs of the shrimp versus other tropical fish. I also want to know, as I have said earlier, how much they affect TDS upo0n use. I am certain there are at least several who use these products who can answer my question, but for some reason are choosing not to with the exception of wicca 27 regarding Salty Shrimp products.

I have googled about these products and haven't found anything specific as of yet. I'll look again.

Not trying to be difficult. Just looking to make sure I get the right info about shrimp needs before I get something that would be completely wrong or not essential. And just the opposite as well, things that are essential.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
as far as tds they each raise it in different ammounts and i think alot of that will depend on your water and if you are using ro or not. the more of the product you put in the more its oing to raise the tds as well. some are designed to raise gh, some kh and different amounts of tds as well. some will raise ph but not affect other parameters.

each company uses its own mix of minerals to create their product. i chose the salty shrimp because of people saying it was cleaner than others meaning it didnt raise the tds with other filler minerals i guess. i could use it to get the gh i wanted and not have really hight tds. i can mix it with ro and only get a tds of about 125 when i got a gh of about 5 or 6

·
Banned
1,377 Posts
That's why I posted this thread, to find out from others more experienced than I. It is as much about learning some of the specific and unique needs of the shrimp versus other tropical fish. I also want to know, as I have said earlier, how much they affect TDS upo0n use. I am certain there are at least several who use these products who can answer my question, but for some reason are choosing not to with the exception of wicca 27 regarding Salty Shrimp products.

I have googled about these products and haven't found anything specific as of yet. I'll look again.

Not trying to be difficult. Just looking to make sure I get the right info about shrimp needs before I get something that would be completely wrong or not essential. And just the opposite as well, things that are essential.
Understood. nor am I, but as Wicca said and others have said in other similar threads there is no specific number, each person seems to have their own experience in regards to TDS/kh/gh/etc.. with the products you listed. What I have noticed is we all have slightly different results and a big part of that is based off the differences in water all over this country. Yes even though most use RO there are still slight differences that cause variances in how TDS/GH/KH/etc.. is affected with the products for each person. Does that make sense?

Of the 4 products you listed, 3 are some type of old sea mud. Now this being a powder you generally place beneath the soil during initial setup I'm pretty sure they raise the TDS, but I could be wrong. I dont see this as a problem because during cycling you will be doing water changes which will reduce your overall TDS if you are doing correctly. During cycling this is the trade off to get beneficial bacteria colonized and biofilm growing.

It may be my method but I dont typically add any sort of remineralizer during the first couple of weeks. I'm sure others do things differently during this time also.

I feel the best option is to go with one of the trusted proven products (which you listed) and work out the mixture that results in the parameters you are looking to get.

As for the Seachem Equilibrium, I have no experience with this or never really noticed anybody posting about it for shrimp tanks. So its not a product I can really comment on.

We want you to have success, but I feel that you are over thinking things. There are a lot of great products out there and lots of great threads to read up on from experienced people who've gone through success and failures they share so we can all learn together.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Understood. nor am I, but as Wicca said and others have said in other similar threads there is no specific number, each person seems to have their own experience in regards to TDS/kh/gh/etc.. with the products you listed. What I have noticed is we all have slightly different results and a big part of that is based off the differences in water all over this country. Yes even though most use RO there are still slight differences that cause variances in how TDS/GH/KH/etc.. is affected with the products for each person. Does that make sense?

Of the 4 products you listed, 3 are some type of old sea mud. Now this being a powder you generally place beneath the soil during initial setup I'm pretty sure they raise the TDS, but I could be wrong. I dont see this as a problem because during cycling you will be doing water changes which will reduce your overall TDS if you are doing correctly. During cycling this is the trade off to get beneficial bacteria colonized and biofilm growing.

It may be my method but I dont typically add any sort of remineralizer during the first couple of weeks. I'm sure others do things differently during this time also.

I feel the best option is to go with one of the trusted proven products (which you listed) and work out the mixture that results in the parameters you are looking to get.

As for the Seachem Equilibrium, I have no experience with this or never really noticed anybody posting about it for shrimp tanks. So its not a product I can really comment on.

We want you to have success, but I feel that you are over thinking things. There are a lot of great products out there and lots of great threads to read up on from experienced people who've gone through success and failures they share so we can all learn together.
Thanks for your response, and I agree with you that I am over thinking this a bit. The products, which I did more reading about, all work well for all who use them. I don't really think I can go wrong with any of these particularly if it is a product used by breeders.

As for Equilibrium, I hadn't noticed this before but it is formulated for plants. Although I'm certain it will not harm shrimp in a tank, I am now equally certain that products formulated for shrimp are a better choice for shrimp tanks.

I appreciate both your patience and assistance. I will be putting all of this to good use.

·
Banned
1,377 Posts
Thanks for your response, and I agree with you that I am over thinking this a bit. The products, which I did more reading about, all work well for all who use them. I don't really think I can go wrong with any of these particularly if it is a product used by breeders.

As for Equilibrium, I hadn't noticed this before but it is formulated for plants. Although I'm certain it will not harm shrimp in a tank, I am now equally certain that products formulated for shrimp are a better choice for shrimp tanks.

I appreciate both your patience and assistance. I will be putting all of this to good use.

Yeah I did some reading about the Equilibrium, seems like a great product for plants. not sure how that would carry over to shrimp. But happy to talk things through with you. We want to see you have success. Thats what this forum is all about!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts