The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks,
I have a Taiwan Bee shrimp that is 1.5 years old by now. A few months back, one of my original shrimp had a partial
molt where it got the head part off just fine but the tail segment was still on. It was loosely hanging on over its back, except for the tail fan part, where the shrimp tail fins are scrunched together from being pulled partially out of the shell. I left it alone, and it survived just fine, and then it's next molt was fine. Recently this shrimp had the same problem, and another of my original shrimps also. So far, none of the younger shrimps (1 year old) have had this problem.
The water parameters and GH 5 TDS 100-110 and I feed the shrimp alternately Bacter AE, spinach, Shrimp king pellet food (rotate between Complete, Mineral, Protein). I think they get enough calcium ,but maybe not. Does any of this need changing, e.g. higher or lower GH? Or maybe this is just a symptom of a shrimp getting old?

·
Super Moderator
16,988 Posts
Maybe you could cut protein to just once per month. See how things go from there. I've only ever had molt issues like that in tanks where protein has been overfed. Some people have issues when water parameters are outta whack but that doesn't seem to be the case for you.

Since you're already feeding spinach, I doubt there's a need for more calcium.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.