The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I have had a 20gal tank set up for 3-4 months in total but it got overhauled a few weeks ago. It is now lush with plants, driftwood, clumps of moss, 6 cpds, some amanos, and of course snails. I have about 20 pumpkin shrimp of various sizes and sexes that have grown up and colored up from the lfs. Only one or two have died. Females are saddled and the shrimp are fed brine, algae wafers, and bacter ae 3-4x a week. But no breeding. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
277 Posts
How long have the shrimp been in there? Some of my neos get to breeding immediately and some take a couple of months before they’ll start

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
75g, 33L, 2g and play tanks
408 Posts
Usually you get Juveniles from LFS. If they are still molting and growing a lot they could still be maturing. This is my guess since they all different sizes.

Also, they really don't need to be fed all that much. That list looks like you feed them something everyday. I don't feed mine much at all. Not directly anyway. I do some veggie treats for them from time to time otherwise they just get fry food. It's what I am currently feeding the Embers right now because I found two Rainbow fry and didn't want them to be eaten. So they're with the shrimp until they grow up some more. But other than fish food scraps I don't feed my shrimp much at all. I have roughly 20 at the moment and only the largest have bred. Everything else is growing up still. Haven't seen a berried shrimp in over a month now.

·
Super Moderator
15,775 Posts
Hello everyone,

I have had a 20gal tank set up for 3-4 months in total but it got overhauled a few weeks ago. It is now lush with plants, driftwood, clumps of moss, 6 cpds, some amanos, and of course snails. I have about 20 pumpkin shrimp of various sizes and sexes that have grown up and colored up from the lfs. Only one or two have died. Females are saddled and the shrimp are fed brine, algae wafers, and bacter ae 3-4x a week. But no breeding. Any thoughts?
3-4 times per WEEK? Cut that back to twice per week. Only feed what shrimp can finish in an hour and remove the rest. Search the forum here about Bacter AE. It's unnecessary and leads to tons of problems with shrimpkeepers - especially newcomers to the hobby.

CPDs are little hunters, so they're going to prey on your shrimp. Even if they're not much larger than the shrimp themselves. That can discourage breeding.

Most local fish shops in the US are selling older shrimp unless they're breeding in-house or have a local source that breeds. That's because most exporters send adult shrimp to US buyers. Just the nature of the beast. So if you received any fully-grown shrimp, it's possible they're slowing down on the breeding front.

What are your water parameters?

pH
kH
gH
ammonia/nitrite/nitrate
TDS
temperature

Could you post a photo of your tank?

What's your water change frequency and amount/percentage?

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Sounds like a lot of protein and such... not enough vegetables.

Besides parameters and more info on tank, I would recommend feeding a vegetable or algae based food twice a week (probably not likely the algae wafers! those are probably algae infused!) and a protein food once a week.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts