The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was getting some Microrasbora galaxy from Singapore, so I got some cherry shrimps with them.

I had prepared a 20g bare bottom for the -galaxys, lots of potted plants to cover the entire background, a sponge filter with powerhead and spraybar(got the sponge to cycle in my community 250g).

I have put the 10 -galaxy and the 10 cherry that I got, into the 20g ten days back, Saturday.

The cherrys were a little more than 1/2" and the -galaxy even smaller. The plants were covered with lots of algae and both, the shrimps and fish, took refuge in the plants. The shrimps were feeding continuously on the algae and decimated them, molting and growing, they are about a inch now. The -galaxy have also doubled themselves.

Yesterday I saw a change in the habit of the cherrys, they were doing a lot of free swimming. I did a 30% WC. I am feeding the tank with fresh algae and crushed wafers. They are still free swimming.

I am totally new to shrimps. I would like advice from you all.

I have read the Sticky, water parameters --- 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 2 nitrate, 75*F, RO topup.

Do I need to add iodine for the shrimps? How do I add it, if I need it?

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I was getting some Microrasbora galaxy from Singapore, so I got some cherry shrimps with them.

I had prepared a 20g bare bottom for the -galaxys, lots of potted plants to cover the entire background, a sponge filter with powerhead and spraybar(got the sponge to cycle in my community 250g).

I have put the 10 -galaxy and the 10 cherry that I got, into the 20g ten days back, Saturday.

The cherrys were a little more than 1/2" and the -galaxy even smaller. The plants were covered with lots of algae and both, the shrimps and fish, took refuge in the plants. The shrimps were feeding continuously on the algae and decimated them, molting and growing, they are about a inch now. The -galaxy have also doubled themselves.

Yesterday I saw a change in the habit of the cherrys, they were doing a lot of free swimming. I did a 30% WC. I am feeding the tank with fresh algae and crushed wafers. They are still free swimming.

I am totally new to shrimps. I would like advice from you all.

I have read the Sticky, water parameters --- 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 2 nitrate, 75*F, RO topup.

Do I need to add iodine for the shrimps? How do I add it, if I need it?

behavior seems fine. Probably doing their mating ritual if all of them are alive.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Just added my RCS today, and they free swim all the time :) Quite cool really, I'd thought they be hiding for the first day or two.:red_mouth

·
Registered
324 Posts
Mine free swam a lot when I got them but also started dying.If they have been fine until now and you havent added anything to the tank its maybe a mating thing.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Its fine most likely.

When you added them there where plants close together (Touching?) that where covered in algae, so why move if you don't have to? Now that they have eaten all that they are looking around the tank more and probably also looking for some food.

Also when the females molt they usually release hormones into the water, those hormones make the male crs go crazy! So there is reason II they're probably moving about more.

They're also probably much more comfortable.

If I where you I might try out the Leaf Litter idea since your tank is bare bottom. That will help to keep the shrimp roaming around opposed to swimming probably.

But you're shrimp are most likely fine. Cherries are super hardy anyways. We worry too much!

-Andrew

1 - 5 of 5 Posts