The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so my tank finally is starting to stabilize and things seem to be going much better after finding new plants and more things for my Shrimp. One thing I noticed today is I actually have a small snail ironically in my tank (bonus from my plants lol) so I am keeping him because it'll be good for my tank I believe. However, while checking on my plants, I noticed an exoskeleton of one of my shrimp - is this normal especially for adolescent shrimp and within a few days of purchasing? I have a tiered rock in my tank and I know I have some tiny little guys - is it possible they are hiding under or on my rock and if so should I just leave my rock or try to move it? I am a bit worried I have dead shrimp under it but if shrimp have sensitive new skins - should I leave it be? This is my current layout:

·
Registered
285 Posts
Probably just a molt. The smaller shrmp do like to hide under things, it's a survival mechanism. The more plants you have in there the more comfortable they'll become.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay - I got a tad worried for a second :D Thank you! I plan to add more plants and hope to find some java moss or something soon once my nitrite/nitrate levels out a bit more.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
If it is completely clear it is a molt. If it has a tinge of pink or opaque white it is a dead shrimp. Shrimp molt on a regular basis so you usually always have a molt lying around.

They usually molt very soon after being introduced to new tank water as well.

I remove dead shrimps for risk of transferring bacteria/parasites. I leave the molts so they can recycle the nutrients.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Definitely not opaque white nor pinkish - the edges look a little brown but it is mostly clear - my shrimp are a very dark blue and all of my dead blue dreams have been found relatively recent after death so no loss of color - but I removed the bodies asap after finding them in order to maintain ammonia levels (didn't want a spike)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Aaaahhhh okay - thank you! I was a tad worried there but a good chunk of my shrimp are adolescent and very very small at the moment - if I am reading things correctly usually adolescents molt more than adults?
Is the new skin more sensitive and is it common for the shrimp to hide under rocks or such?
Also - my water is gaining a green tinge to it... is that good or bad for my shrimp? I know biofilm and algae are good for the shrimp but I also am debating a water change soon. I just got them not long ago and don't want to overwhelm them with a water change but also worried about water color.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
That's all normal. Your shrimp tank sounds pretty healthy! My question would be how often do you do water changes and how big are they?

Some people do small weekly changes of ~20%, some people do large monthly changes at ~50%. I think the most important thing is maintaining stability of your paramaters.

You should dial back your nutrients or lights if your water is going green. That could potentially be the beginning of an algae outbreak.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ahhh thank you for that! I know algae is a fave to shrimp so I will start dialing back, my 7 days of bacterial seed just finished today. My tank wasn't great at first actually. I started with 4 Blue Dreams and lost 3 of them with only a moss ball, 1 plant (that worked and thrived in my tank), and a piece of driftwood. After my losses - I went back to the pet store I got them from and decided to get Shrimp Start, a rock, 2 new plants, some indian almond leaves, and a bunch of chemical tests for Nitrate/Nitrite, GH, and KH. I also decided that when getting new shrimp I would go for more than 4. So far my last Blue Dream is still alive.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Usually you need two or more weeks to establish a good layer of denitrifying bacteria and biofilm. If you introduced those shrimp too early that's probably why they died. Do you do water changes to keep your ammonia and nitrate levels down? New tanks require regular water changes during cycling.

Now that you have a test kit... what's your tap and tank water like?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Now that I have gotten things a bit better:

My pH is at a 7.6
My nitrate is at 0 ppm
My nitrite is at 0.25 ppm
My GH is at 5-6
My KH is at 5

I think I will do a 20% water change tomorrow - now that I have a pitcher and a bucket for my room to keep things within one area instead if carrying it to the bathroom haha. My hope is to walk to Petco around Monday and get some vacuum to be able to clean up leftover food easier.

I also want to get a few snails to help my tank cycle - I already have a very tiny little snail (which decided to hide in my plants :D )

Recently on Amazon I ordered Shrimp Sticks (Algae of course)
A small little feeding tray (helps contain any mess)
GlasGarten Mineral Junkie Bites - I don't have a specific calcium stones in my tank yet so I am hoping it helps when my shrimp molt

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So small update: Got home from work to find one dead shrimp. I still am not finding the rest of my shrimp (my best guess is under my rock especially for my smaller ones. This one I found was pink and I quickly removed it from my tank so my ammonia and nitrite levels don't spike. I easily found 5 of my shrimp; my singular blue dream and four of my blue velvets (at least my slightly larger ones). Would you recommend moving my rock to see if I can't find the others in my tank (should have 8 shrimp now) .... or just leaving it would be better?

I am at least doing much better than my Blue Dreams. I quickly lost 3 out of my 4 shrimp fairly recent one right after another (my guess is my tank wasn't cycled correctly and drip acclimation went wrong). These shrimp are lasting over 1 week and doing much better it seems.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update on March:

2 shrimp dead - 3 are still okay. I plan on getting a few snails and a siphon to be able to clean my water better.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
Most would say that 180-200 is desired... but some have kept them in lower TDS. I would say the GH is more important, per-say.... which, I think for most people, ideal would be 7-8 GH or higher - not too often is lower okay for them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts