The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently added 12 cherry shrimp to my 10 gal tank...this morning I wake up to find this....(see pic below). Is there a way to tell if this is a dead shrimp or a shrimp that has molted? (I could count them, but they are hard to find with all the holes in the wood) sorry i tried to get the best pic possible

Attachments

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
and I thought I could see the little whiskers from the head....does that shed as well?
Yup, the whiskers and everything molt as well. A waterchange will sometimes simulate the conditions for them to molt (usually a fresh cool rain in nature does the same thing) so putting them in a new tank, especially one that may have better conditions from a LFS if you got them there, some will molt within the first day.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
ok thats perfect! thanks for the quick answers!
Not only do shrimp like to hide after molting apparently they like to hide TO molt. I added a coconut hut to a cherry shrimp tank a week ago and hadn't noticed many molts lately so when I shined a flashlight into in the hut yesterday to see if I could see any berried females hanging from the roof it looked like a graveyard of molts.

Molting can be an indicator of both good health and readiness to mate so just a tip to help keep track of it a little bit.

I get the feeling that once you start having the population boom you pay a whole lot less attention to the progress or status of individual shrimp but I have yet to reach that stage either. :)

·
Registered
250 Posts
i don't really know that much about fresh water dwarfs, cause i just started keeping them
but when i get shrimp for my marine tank they molt the first day every time

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.