The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm in no way way a shrimp expert...but to me It looks like a failed molt. Maybe someone with more experience will chime in.

·
Super Moderator
16,108 Posts
What are your specific water parameters?

Temperature
pH
kH
gH
ammnonia
nitrite
nitrate

What specifically do you feed your shrimp?

How much do you feed them?

How frequently?

How long have you had these shrimp? If not long, how/where did you obtain them? Any idea what the water parameters were in the tank you sourced them from?

Molting issues like this most often occur as a result of diets that are too rich in protein and/or in poor water conditions. Your snails look like they have healthy shells, so it's most likely not an issue of water hardness. But any additional information you can provide - along with the questions above - will be really helpful in allowing others to help you figure out why this could be occurring.

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
Could be a failed molt.... in which case the shrimp will eventually die...

Or it could simply be in the process of molting and the shrimp will be fine.

Knowing more details about the tank can help!

·
Registered
13 Posts
this is what people call the white ring of death - but dont panic yet, it isn't as deadly as the name suggests. IF the white ring stays for like a week, that means the shrimp failed to molt, and it may die. but they can also get this ring in the process of molting - I had 2-3 shrimps with this symptom for a few days and successfully completed their molts and have no sign of stress as a result. keep an eye on em.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts