The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone im an really new to this planted tank hobby and would like to try putting crs shrimp in it. I only have 2 otocinculus fish in the tank right now and am about to order some shrimp. what is the process i have to go through to get my shimp from the bag and into the tank comfortably. what i would need to prep my tank and the best way to acclamate them. Sorry i know that this is a really newbie question but i don't want to mess up and kill these beautiful scrimpies. any advice or help would be greatly appreciated. i figure id ask the people that do this to get the best first hand information possible. Is this plant setup ok for the shrimps.. the java moss on the rocks and the hair grass hasn't grown in yet. should i add more plants or will this setup suffice? here is a picture of my tank

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Hi,

Very nice tank! Octos are ok with shrimps, but in the picture I see a guppy as well. Guppy will be ok with adult shrimps, but if you want a breeding colony, you should remove all fish except for algae eating types.

The best way to acclimate shrimp or fish is the slow drip method. put your newly bought stock into a bucket or a small container then use an airline tubing to siphon the water from the tank, tight a knot on the tube that acts as a flow regulator, the tighter the knot the slower the rate. Cover your bucket and wait a couple of hours (I normally wait half a day) then take the new stock to their new home. If you don't mind the water from the seller, simply dump everything back to the tank otherwise net the stock to the tank. Hope this helps.

Kevin

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
I'm going to jumble some things up and say to just float the bag for 5-10 mins then judge how they're looking (stress they get pale). As long as your parameters are the same or similar to where they came from I would just dump them right in.

Unless you're buying extremely high grade inbred shrimp CRS really are pretty hardy. I've got two S grade living in an unheated unfiltered and unfed bucket next to my main tank, they've been there for 4 months or so now waiting for me to decide what to do with them and they're in perfect health.

You can also do a fast drip, so cap it at like 30 mins or so and then add them.

Either way I'm sure you will be fine as long as your tank is in order.

Have fun!
-Andrew

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.