The Planted Tank Forum banner

Shrimp in unheated tank

6K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  aquatic-store.com 
#1 ·
Just an FYI:

I have an unheated, planted tank (temp around 65-70) and I've had difficulty gathering information on how well plant, fish, and invert species do at these temperatures. Most tanks are tropical, after all.

It's a new planted tank and I'm a newbie. What does that spell? Algae, and lots of it. After doing some research and getting a lot of conflicting "temperature requirements" for shrimp species, I decided to try out some shrimp. I went to a few LFSs and found some red cherry shrimp (only 3.99 each--couldn't resist) and some yamato shrimp. I bought three cherries and two yamato.

Anyway, its been about two weeks now and I'm glad to say that both species are doing wonderfully in this unheated tank.

^iMp^

#3 ·
I've read that the caridina japonica had a lower temp range than tropical.... can't give the numbers but from low tropical range down 10 or 15 degrees. I think the red cherrys were also lower.

I know when I forgot to plug in the heater again after a water change the Cari. japons seemed to be very active in my tank.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.