The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard that Amanos are likely to climb out of an uncovered tank. I can imagine the phone call from the family when I'm out of town and a shrimp is scuttling across the floor. :)

Do RCS and CRS tend to escape as well? I'd like to try some shrimp when the tank stabilizes a bit more, but can't have escapees running about.

Thanks
AB

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I have an opened top 10 gallon and the RCS do not escape. In about five months, only one RCS jumped out, likely due to being frightened by something (my cat is a likely suspect). Once out of the tank they die instead of crawl around like Amano shrimp.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Very seldom shrimps jump out of your aquarium. It would be better to give at least 1- 2 inches water below the top. I have a lot of experience with fish jumpers than inverts. All my tanks are open top ever since.

·
Registered
31 Posts
same as above post, i've trimmed plants so leaves don't float on surface and this stops shrimps from climbing up and THEN making a run for it....pretty but not very bright these shrimps.

on a side note i have RCS and CRS and Amano in my 120G. I had about 25 Cardinals and everything was going well until i added 25 more so has to give them a better shoaling experience, but if i dont feed my cardinals every day the 50 now feel so secure that they will attack a shrimp that has the badluck of swimming in front of them.

Behavior wise its fascinating to see their attack strategy...power in numbers i guess although my heart is breaking for the shrimps...

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
The only shrimp i ever had go overboard was the socalled "orange shrimp" that was all the craze a year or two ago... I found it laying on my baseboard heater when i moved out of my apartment, fried to a crisp. :(

·
Registered
664 Posts
All the Amanos I had eventually jumped ship. I have never found a RCS on the floor though. They must not be as brave as the Amanos. :D

·
Registered
383 Posts
I have a small 1gal, Rimless tank, on the kitchen counter. I have had many Amano Escape, and a few cherries. The water line I sometimes less than an inch from the top, so I guess i was asking for it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts