The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve never considered keeping shrimp before, but I’ve gotten interested in them lately after reading about them here. I’d like to know which shrimp my tank would be suitable for (if any), and how many? It is a 5.5g with some plants, 5 C. habrosus and 2 C. pygmaeus. Will the shrimp eat the tabimin and bloodworms I’m currently feeding? Also, pH is around 6.2 and both GH and KH are pretty low. Do these need to be higher (thinking about shell growth, Ca here)? Also I think I recall reading some species will eat algae? If this is the case one those species would be great as I noticed a little algae last night. A local store had some shrimp the last time I was there but I'm not sure what species they were. I haven't seen them in stores much, and like I said I've just now started toying with the idea of keeping them.
Also if any of you have kept rainbows, will Melanotania lacustris pose a threat to shrimp? It’s possible that I may have to take this small tank down and all the inhabitants would have to go in my bigger tank. It is planted heavily. Below are some pics of the 5.5 and their would be tank mates.

Thank you for your help

·
Registered
477 Posts
After you move your fish to your bigger tank i'd suggest trying RCS if they're readily available to you. If not RCS, go with ghost shrimp since they're really cheap. Also, get some moss in there, any kind will do. That's where your shrimp will hang out the most esp. RCS.

·
Registered
76 Posts
The cories should be fine with shrimp, but i wouldn't advise adding rainbows (unless you go with I. werneri or some of the smaller Pseudomugils). As for your water, you could probably raise cherry shrimp but tiger or bumblebee shrimp would be happier with your water parameters. What is your GH and KH, or better yet, what is the TDS?

All of the above shrimp eat algae, but they'll be happier if you supplement with other food as well. There's some good threads on shrimp food here. Remember that keeping up with water changes is paramount for raising shrimp, especially in a tank this size.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Personally, Id remove all of the fish, shrimplets are very very very small and will easily be eaten. I would suggest a air driven sponge filter over a HOB for this reason. I also have a 5.5g, I have caribsea moon sand substrate, random plant, java fern, java moss, rock, and natural sea sponges. Natural sea sponges sold for crafting build up yummy bacteria and algae for shrimp. I suggest going to petshrimp.com there is a lot of useful information there. I originally purchased 7 cherry shrimp from a local pet store for six bucks a piece and recieved one prego whose shrimplets are still alive today. A month later I purchased 40 cherry shrimp from aquabid well 25, but the guy through in a bunch = 40. I paid on 48 dollars for all of those. From that bunch I have had two successful pregnancies within two months of purchase. I did have 3 clutches of eggs drop but that was due to Stresscoat water conditioner, i have switched to seachem Prime.

Id say in your 5.5g you could keep upwards to 80 cherries keep in mind only maybe 30 of those would be adults and you must must must keep up on water changes. Then when you get too many sell em.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Personally, Id remove all of the fish, shrimplets are very very very small and will easily be eaten. I would suggest a air driven sponge filter over a HOB for this reason. I also have a 5.5g, I have caribsea moon sand substrate, random plant, java fern, java moss, rock, and natural sea sponges. Natural sea sponges sold for crafting build up yummy bacteria and algae for shrimp. I suggest going to petshrimp.com there is a lot of useful information there. I originally purchased 7 cherry shrimp from a local pet store for six bucks a piece and recieved one prego whose shrimplets are still alive today. A month later I purchased 40 cherry shrimp from aquabid well 25, but the guy through in a bunch = 40. I paid on 48 dollars for all of those. From that bunch I have had two successful pregnancies within two months of purchase. I did have 3 clutches of eggs drop but that was due to Stresscoat water conditioner, i have switched to seachem Prime.

Id say in your 5.5g you could keep upwards to 80 cherries keep in mind only maybe 30 of those would be adults and you must must must keep up on water changes. Then when you get too many sell em.
I wouldn't worry about a HOB filter, they're fine. If you're really paranoid about it just cover it with a mesh filter bag.

I've never heard of adding sea sponges to a tank to build up bacteria for them to eat. Its unnecessary and Its just one more thing that could go wrong so I would say don't even bother.

I would advise not taking everything that mustafa at Petshrimp.com says with 100% certainty, He's a bit crasy and has even said plants can kill shrimp :hihi: I've never been banned from a site execept there and it only took like a day. My case is settled. So If you want a shrimp dedicated forum check out Shrimpnow.com

I doubt a cherry dropped it's eggs because of a water condtioner, especially only one of the three. Maybe a water problem was the case?

I have Cherries in my 55g and every single mature female either has a saddle or is berried. I started with 20ish from DC and now have at least 100 probably between 100 and 200 but maybe more, it's hard to tell with such a big tank:icon_bigg . They're VERY hardy shrimp And would recommend you them as your first shrimp. They also are very very easy to breed which is also fun!

But if you wanted to pretty much any shrimp could live in that tank after you pulled the fish out. Dwarf corries might be OK. But the only 100% shrimp safe fish is the otto cat.

Welcome to the forum!

-Andrew

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
After you move your fish to your bigger tank i'd suggest trying RCS if they're readily available to you. If not RCS, go with ghost shrimp since they're really cheap. Also, get some moss in there, any kind will do. That's where your shrimp will hang out the most esp. RCS.
I'm not planning on moving the cories, they're the main reason I wanted to set the tank up. I don't think the cories could eat the shrimp I saw here locally, they were pretty good size and the cories are small. I'm not really worried about breeding/selling so as long as the adult shrimp are ok that's fine. This is why I wouldn't change the filter. You can't see it in the picture but there is more than enough Java moss in there. Too much for a 5.5g, so much in fact that I will move some of that to the 75g.

The cories should be fine with shrimp, but i wouldn't advise adding rainbows (unless you go with I. werneri or some of the smaller Pseudomugils). As for your water, you could probably raise cherry shrimp but tiger or bumblebee shrimp would be happier with your water parameters. What is your GH and KH, or better yet, what is the TDS?

All of the above shrimp eat algae, but they'll be happier if you supplement with other food as well. There's some good threads on shrimp food here. Remember that keeping up with water changes is paramount for raising shrimp, especially in a tank this size.
I wasn't planning on adding the rainbows to this tank, they're in my 75g, and it's possible that I'll need to take this down temporarily in a few months, so everything in here would have to spend some time in the 75.
I don't know the TDS, but GH is <60, and KH is <20. Both lower than my test kit will read.
I wasn't counting on letting them eat algae alone, there isn't enough in the tank, but there is some I'd like to get rid of.

One more question, will shrimp eat fish eggs? I'd really like to get the catfish to breed, and save at least some of the fry. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
I'd keep the 5.5g as a shrimp tank. It's a good size for raising RCS. Either check here or Aquabid for sellers. Either place will land you quality shrimp for about $2 each.

·
Registered
76 Posts
One more question, will shrimp eat fish eggs?
I think you'll have more trouble with your cories eating their own eggs or fry...the shrimp are not likely to do so.

Cherry shrimp should adapt to your water conditions, but increasing the hardness with a little bit of crushed coral would make them happier.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think you'll have more trouble with your cories eating their own eggs or fry...the shrimp are not likely to do so.

Cherry shrimp should adapt to your water conditions, but increasing the hardness with a little bit of crushed coral would make them happier.
You're right, with cories I've bred in the past I had to remove the eggs If I wanted many, so I'll probably have to do that in this case too. What pH, GH, and KH values am I looking for?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.