The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I was snapping pix of my cherries, this little bugger pops outta nowhere and scares me so bad I jumped back two ft. (and immediately check myself if I need a change of underwear)
He's the same size as the cherries, but as you see a very dark rootbeer, almost black color with a white stripe - head to tail. He seems to prefer staying hidden under driftwood although the substrate is such that he camos perfectly. Snuck in with my 4 cherries I purchased a couple weeks ago.

Who am I?

hi-res

Thanks in advance guys! Won't be able to check until this weekend. Happy Halloween! :icon_twis

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Probably a wild type Neocaridina. Separate it, or else if it breeds with your red cherries, the offspring will also be wild type shrimp.

·
Registered
357 Posts
That's a blackberry shrimp. Sometimes called 'blueberry'. A variant of Neocaridina...

·
Registered
224 Posts
I have some of these too, my best guess is wild type neo. When I got them they were just called "algae" shirmp- came from a farm in china. They can turn from Light color tan, to red, to blue- its pretty cool. I have some on flourite like yours and they are the same color, but the ones I put on amazoniaII turned red.

·
Registered
545 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thx!

He (or she?) is very interesting. It's color changes everyday... I've seen it dark blue, dark red, dark green, brown and black. Sometimes he looks like a slightly darker rcs.

Thank you everyone for the info. I want to eat your brains and steal your knowledge! Seriously, I'm just a big noob when it comes to inverts.

GF and I named him last night. I hope "Dr. Pepper" lives a long and healthy life in my aquarium. :red_mouth

1 - 10 of 10 Posts