The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was told this was a zebra shrimp, but a few pictures I found online don't seem to match. Can anyone verify? Also, any basic information about this shrimp would be extremely helpful. I was told they act a lot like the ghost shrimp, but could find very little information available online.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The largest one I have is about 1.5-2x the size of the largest ghost shrimp I've seen. Maybe a little over 2 inches ?

·
Premium Member
3,461 Posts
Ok, this shrimp is a member of the Macrobrachium genus, although its difficult to say exactly which one it is. They do not eat algae in the same manner as ammano shrimp, however they are fantastic scavengers and are cool additions to a shrimp community. I have 4 of these guys and find them preferable to Ghost shrimp. These are much hardier and can be pretty bold during feeding.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
These guys are definitely less timid when approached by fish. They don't mind flashing a little claw if a guppy tries to take his pellets. They're really fun to watch when they start fighting amost themselves as well. They all have a uniqueness. One has more stripes and some gold spotting on his upper body (the one in the picture above). Another is the biggest and has a blue coloration to his front claws/arms. The third has some redness to its side markings.

What is the maximum size that you have seen/read ?

Thanks for the info ! :D

·
Premium Member
3,461 Posts
Well, depending on the species.. anywhere from 4" to 14". Its hard to say, some Macrobrachium's can be agggressive, while others can be bold, but not active hunters.

Just watch them as they grow and you'll be a better judge of how they're going to behave. There are hundreds of species out there so its hard to say for certain what you have.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
14" eh ? :)

They seem bold, but not too aggressive. Just have to wait and see. I love shrimp.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The first picture is the one who has red spots on its side.

The second is a better close up of the first one I posted, notice the gold spots. This poor guy is the smallest one and gets bullied out by the other two every time he tries to go under the driftwood.

They've been staying under the driftwood and hiding as much as possible, occassionally snapping at the cories who also like to hide under there.

·
Are these real?
15,698 Posts
kutothe said:
14" eh ? :)

They seem bold, but not too aggressive. Just have to wait and see. I love shrimp.
Me too!! Last night I took some video, and my ghost shrimp was wandering along the front glass, probably watching himself as a reflection it the video lens that was touching the glass (distance ~1/2"). Looks really funny on tape!!!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Pet World in the outskirts of Rochester. They had them sitting in some tank with no label or price. I managed to get all 3 for about $3. They are really cool, but I've been noticing them becoming rather aggressive and territorial. They're constantly ramming the poor Corys. The funniest thing was when one tried to go after the Pleco, and the Pleco simply ignored his tiny little claws. Another odd thing is that the ghost shrimp seem to be learning from this aggressive behavior and have become much more bold than I've ever seen them act.

The closest match that I've found for these has been the label of Thailand Prawn.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update: These guys are about 5 inches now and one of them is producing eggs. None of the eggs have had a chance to be fertilized it seems. They are being super aggressive and nipping on my poor little guppies. I'll hopefully update the albums section with some pictures soon.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts