The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I recently set up a new planted tank, and got 4 feeder white cloud mountain minnows (really small). All of them died within a day or two. I put in another batch yesterday and the one that was visible this morning seemed sick too. Their coloration is normal. Water temp is ~63 degrees, and it's HARD (pH around 8).

While I don't have a water test kit right now, what I don't get is that the ~15 red cherry shrimp I also have in the tank seem fine and happy zooming around. From my experience shrimp are usually more sensitive to water conditions. Also, I seeded the new tank with a couple of plants, water, an old HOB filter (sponge and charcoal), and a small bag of media from an established tank.

Again, the shrimp seem happy but WCMs are dying. Aren't these supposed to be one of the hardiest fish around? People even cycle with them...:frown:

·
Registered
96 Posts
In my experiences my white clouds thrive in water with a ph lower than 7.6. That high of a ph might be a little pushing it IMO

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the rest died. Shrimp still happy. As for the pH, the pet store I bought them from uses similar water...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I checked my water; 0 ammonia, and a little nitrite 5~10ish? I also got 4 more minnows this time 2 feeders and 2 'regular' ones. We'll see how this turns out...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
AARGH..they all died again. Shrimp still hanging in there. The feeders died overnight, the 'regular' minnows survived a day longer. I don't know what's going on, or what to do..

and as for the shrimp, I don't know what they're eating; they're not touching the fish flakes or blanched zucchini piece I put in there as far as I can tell, but they must be growing. I saw three or four had molted recently...

·
Registered
291 Posts
Water might be to cold for them? Also Nitrites 5-10 is killer surprised the shrimp are still alive.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
This is weird. WCMM are really hardy. In your OP you said you don't have a test kit. Did you end up getting one at all? If not, don't trust test STRIPS, get the liquid testers. Reason for asking is 5-10 nitrites is crazy high, the shrimp should be dead if this was correct. Although my WCMM DID survive at 8Ammonia, 5 Nitrite, and high nitrates.

Temperature is not the issue, as WCMM are coldwater fish, although they can handle warmer temperatures of a tropical community tank.

Also how are the fish dying? Do you just walk by and see a dead fish or do you actually see them going belly up out of nowhere? Another possibility, but highly unlikely is that the shrimp are attacking the WCMM, although I doubt it because the fish are fast.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Have you tried a partial water change?
How recently has the tank been set up?
It is possible that the gradual build-up of nitrites has allowed the shrimp to adjust, but it's shocking the WCMM.

I'd let the tank finish it's cycle before adding and killing anything else.
Maybe do a 10-25% water change to bring the nitrites down.

Was the old HOB running on another tank before putting it on this one, or was it pulled out of storage before putting it on the tank?
How frequently are you feeding the shrimp?
How much are you feeding them?
How long after feeding do you take the uneaten food out?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts