The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you all think about a 5.5 gallon for fire reds?

Would that stunt growth, anyone have any experiences with this?

·
Registered
788 Posts
I don't think a Dwarf Shrimp's size can be effected by the size of their environment like how the Goldfish are effected by the size of their environment.

Besides, I'm raising Red Cherry Shrimp in a 5.5 gallon tank too and they are at a normal size and my newly born shrimplets keep growing and growing.

They outgrown the ones in my LPS so I think you are good to go.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I don't think a Dwarf Shrimp's size can be effected by the size of their environment like how the Goldfish are effected by the size of their environment.
I've got a RCS in my sump that's all by itself and is much larger than the ones in my 6.6g. It's also clear from not having any light, so it isn't very nice looking. I'd get a picture, but I only see it once every month or two.

·
Registered
6,169 Posts
Their growth shouldn't be stunted if you have a small colony. As your population increases I have noticed that they stop growing to their full size. At that point you should remove some and the remaining few should reach full size again.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys!

Any one else have any experiences?

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Yes I do, and they do become stunted. My neighbors 75gal tank has HUGE RCS compared to the shrimp in my 10gal. Also I have noticed that the more shrimp there are the smaller the youngest shrimp get at adulthood, since the tank has more and more shrimp as time goes by.. Therefore it becoming more crowded. This is from experience and observations.

Also shrimp in my 2 liter "tank" never reached the size of the shrimp in my main colony.

·
Premium Member
7,703 Posts
Their growth shouldn't be stunted if you have a small colony. As your population increases I have noticed that they stop growing to their full size. At that point you should remove some and the remaining few should reach full size again.
I run into this as well. If I have about 50 in a 5g they dont get as big. I recommend about 10-12 adults. You will have 50 that need removed in no time.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Has anyone noticed that they also just grow slower too in this case? I have some juvies that are growing MUCH slower and are half the size of one or two of my juvies who are almost full size. All came from the same mother.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Yes too many in a tank will stunt their growth. I had about 300 rcs in a 30 gl and they only grew to about half an inch and in my 150 gl they were growing to about an inch. Also it takes them longer for them to grow to adult size.

·
Registered
344 Posts
After seeing this thread I decided that I had to catch the shrimp in my sump to directly compare it those in my 6.6 gallon tank. With much determination I finally caught the little bugger and it's been with the rest of the shrimp for a day now. When I first caught it, the shrimp only had 2 small red lines on it's sides, but the color is starting to appear now.

Here's the big one next to one of my normal "full grown" shrimp. The size difference seems much greater in person than the picture.

IMG_3135.jpg

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
After seeing this thread I decided that I had to catch the shrimp in my sump to directly compare it those in my 6.6 gallon tank. With much determination I finally caught the little bugger and it's been with the rest of the shrimp for a day now. When I first caught it, the shrimp only had 2 small red lines on it's sides, but the color is starting to appear now.

Here's the big one next to one of my normal "full grown" shrimp. The size difference seems much greater in person than the picture.

View attachment 35730
He does seem bigger, are they of the same age?

·
Registered
344 Posts
I'm not sure on the age of both, but none of the shrimp in my shrimp tank are that large.

I do weekly 40% water changes, so I don't think that's the problem. Probably just overcrowding. I recently sold 50 RCS and still have at least that many adults/juvies left.

I'm not really worried about it. I just think it's interesting to see the differences, especially how the color of the large shrimp will eventually turn out after spending its entire life in the dark and if it will breed in the future.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
You can probably counteract some of the stunting by doing frequent WC in your small tank.
yes this is true but id also correlate the same experiences fish can get with stunting, such as when there are multiple competitors going for the "prize" getting their dna to reproduce that there is a unknown factor that can make them mature much faster than they would normally in order to get there dna into future offspring if he is mature even though smaller his % of having his dna into the ready and mature female go up.

then you also have a food source competition which can and does play a decent factor. im sure u could leave a constant food source and constant wc to keep up with the water quality and increase there size but almost everyone wouldnt want to do that as its much more work with just a little size reward. these are just my thoughts and experiences which i havent been able to disprove and are pretty sound imo. i have talked with a couple people who have done research and this was the best way we could really explain it.

i hope my garble kinda makes sense

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
sounds good, thanks guys! I'm going to use this extra 5 gallon until I can rework my 20 long:)

·
Prodigious Plant Pundit
5,403 Posts
To resurrect this thread:

I think my sakura shrimp are smaller in my 2.5 gallon than in my Ebi. So that's a 5.4 gallon difference. Also, what Shrimpnmoss said, I kinda disagree; I think that it's not an ammonia/toxin buildup they sense, but rather that they just sense that there are too many somehow... If that's possible.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
To resurrect this thread:

I think my sakura shrimp are smaller in my 2.5 gallon than in my Ebi. So that's a 5.4 gallon difference. Also, what Shrimpnmoss said, I kinda disagree; I think that it's not an ammonia/toxin buildup they sense, but rather that they just sense that there are too many somehow... If that's possible.
i didnt see anywhere that he said it was ammo/toxin build up, maybe i missed something? idk if the can or do produce a hormone that they can tell how much is in the water like some fish can thus wc = less % of that built up which can help prevent stunting that is a fact. idk if thats what u were thinking of or not but i would have to assume thats where u were going..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts