The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are some fish that wont eat shrimp? (I am also putting in seed shrimp and some daphnia, and would prefer them to not get eaten as well... or atleast not eaten to the point no longer in the tank).

I am open to micro/nano fish as it is a 10g planted tank (shrimp on the way!).

Also... would otos and corys be alright? I have some in the tank right now that can be rehomed if necessary.

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Ottos are the only ones. Even if the adults won't fit in the mouth, the fish will pick at them ripping eyes, and antenna off. Its better shrimp only, you might want to be careful with what else you put in your tank. Scuds have been known to eat your shrimp too.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I keep L211 and L340 plecos with my tangerine tiger shrimp and they are doing fine with the plecos. In another tank I have RCS with L134 plecos and habrosus corys and while I don't see many baby RCS, the colony has survived for about a year together with those fish. Since I don't want the RCS to breed anymore anyway, I don't mind if the corys eat some of the shrimplets. Neither the corys nor the plecos with bother adult shrimp. I have some scuds in the same tank with the tangerine tigers and they have taken over the tank. My tiger shrimp population seemed to have suffered during the winter months and I blamed it on the scuds. I removed as many as I could, but it is impossible to get them all. I did tank maintenance yesterday and shook out the java moss into a bucket of water (the easiest way to remove a lot of scuds at one time). I have done this all winter long every 2 weeks to limit the number of scuds and mostly just found scuds and just a few baby shrimp. Yesterday, however, the baby shrimp outnumbered the scuds I collected. Looks like the shrimp were only taking a break from breeding in the winter and are now back at it again. So I cannot confirm that scuds will kill baby shrimp but I am sure they are competing over the food supply, so too many of them will no doubt make an impact on the shrimp population.

Last year I removed berried RCS to different 10 gal tank in an effort to control their numbers. I planned on selling all the young shrimp and wanted to move the females into a tank without males once they dropped the baby shrimp. I bought some borara maculatas at the fall auction and reading somewhere that they were shrimp save I added them to this tank. Then I was told that they would eat baby shrimp so I caught all the females again and put them into yet another tank. But one of the females had already released all the babys and I could not find them. A months later they were large enough and I collected more then 20 of them. The boraras apparently did not eat them. However, they will eat grindal worms larger then baby shrimp so these shrimp may have been just lucky or hiding well. There are a lot of plants in this tank and the shrimp are pretty fast, much faster then the grindal worms.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Maybe set up a tank with just shrimp, as insurance against fishes that eat shrimplet's.?
This way you would never lose all,and have a colony that can grow unmolested.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
Plecos, otos are considered safe. I keep 3 varieties of dwarf cory that also do not seem to consider the shrimp at all.

Any fish that would go after brine shrimp are definitely not shrimp safe as shrimplets are nearly the same size or smaller than brine. Test out the theory on your fish and see.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've kept Kuhli Loaches and Endler's Live Bearers with my breeding colony of Red Cherries in a 20L for a few years. I'm sure some babies get eaten every once in a while, but with plenty of moss areas and places to hide my shrimp colony just keeps growing regardless.

The only real interaction between the three species I have seen so far was seeing a terribly sick Kuhli being eaten alive by a gang of ravenous shrimp. Not a fun way to get back from class, had to put down the Kuhli unfortunately.

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
I see a few people list loaches with their shrimp.. wonder if anyone have tried dwarf loaches with shrimp (figure smaller fish.. even less likely to eat shrimp?) I want to try shrimp but the only tank aged well with plenty of hiding spots has an old dwarf gourami currently, and I want to get some dwarf loaches this spring too. I'd probably set up a shrimp only tank by the end of summer but wanted to try them out in a pre-exissting set up first before splurging on substrate,filtration, heating, lighting, MORE plants, etc
My other tank is a rather barren 55 (aside from a log for the pleco) no good hiding spots and any plants I put it would get eaten by my giant pleco, I'd fear shrimp would get crushed by him or accidentally eaten if they got on his food or on plants put in the tank x.x

·
Registered
29 Posts
My harlequin rasbora don't generally bother my red rcs but I can't be sure they aren't eating shrimplets. I was considering trying out dwarf emerald rasbora with my next take setup.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So are the scuds you're talking about seed shrimp? Honestly I was only interested in the RCS as I got them off aquabid. The seller is throwing in seed shrimp, daphnia, and ramshorn snails. Would you recommend not putting the seed shrimp in (pests?). Honestly I've never had any of them besides daphnia as a food source and rampant snail problem (if th e ramshorn are the same as pond snails I would prefer not to put them in).
What are your opinions?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
274 Posts
No, scuds are small, like young shrimp - maybe 3/8" long or so. They sort of scuttle across the bottom and have an arching swimming motion in your tank. They are much bigger than seed shrimp. They are a pest in a shrimp tank because anything that would eradicate them will also hurt/kill your shrimp. They breed quite easily, so if they are ever established in your tank, very, very hard to remove them. They also feed on the same food as your shrimp - biofilm, moss, etc. Essentially, they are competing in almost every way with your shrimp in the ecosystem.

If I don't like the extras that a seller is including with shrimp, you can just put what you receive in a container, do your slow water acclimation, then just net out the individual shrimp and put them in your destination tank one at a time. Then you are only putting in to your tank what you net. That will make it much harder to put something you don't want in the tank accidentally. Even when I get moss along with the shrimp, I rarely keep it unless it is really clean and after I have kept it in a quarantine tank.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
The daphnia will probably not survive in your shrimp tank as they require green water to eat. The seed shrimp and snails are a good addition to a shrimp tank. Even if you don't intentionally add them, chances are at some point they will just show up anyway especially if you add real plants. I have seed shrimp, ramshorns and MTSs in all my shrimp tanks.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm interested in keeping daphnia, but the significant other is adverse to anything "dirty" (green tanks are dirty to him, ugh) so keeping in there is wishful thinking ;)

What are MTS?

Also, anyone have problems with ramshorn snails in their tanks before I decide to add them? Or anything else yall would recommend for a 10g shrimp tank? This'll be my first, so any advice would be helpful. I'll try and add a photo of it.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Malaysian Trumpet Snails.
You can keep daphnia in a clear water bottle with plant clipping sitting in full sunlight with an added airstone just barely moving the water. I used to cultivate them in a 2.5 gal fish tank with just an airstone but grew green water in water bottles on the back porch and fed them some every day. They can be fed spiritulina powder for a short period of time but then require green water if kept for longer. If I were you I would tell the seller to not send any unless you have fish you can feed them to.
I have real driftwood in my shrimp tanks with java moss, dwarf water lilies, pellia/suesswassertang, elodea and java fern. And some shrimp caves I had made for them. They are made of clay and look like very small open ended pipes stacked like pyramids. But any rock formation or decoration with hiding spots will work fine for them to hide in while molting.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Mts = Malaysian trumpet snails. I have micro ramshorn and mts in with my shrimp. Ramshorns can be prolific. Micro ramshorns breed slowly. Are quite interesting.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
I think people looking to keep shrimp with most community fish should actually see how big shrimplets are. I never realized how tiny the things are until I saw some myself. They can easily fit into the mouths of pretty much any fish that wishes to eat them.

That being said, there are some extremely docile fish that I would keep with shrimp, such as licorice and chocolate gouramis. Yes they're able to eat shrimplets, but when a fish is so docile that some individuals are hesitant to attack live brine shrimp I'll take my chances. However this is only true for a minority of fish species people like to keep.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I have a few neons in my 20L, they seem to be ignoring the new shrimp for the most part. But it's well planted and the shrimp have lots of places to hide.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts