The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

I'm interested in adding some shrimp to my 84g tank cleanup crew. I want some 1 to 1.5" shrimp so they won't be eaten. I thought that most shrimp were ok in moderately hard water, but apparently not.

So, what shrimp would be suitable in an aqaurium at:

10Gh
8.4Kh
7.2Ph
78 degrees

Thanks

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Aren't they climbers/jumpers. My tank isn't covered. Family would panic if one jumps ship while I'm traveling (which is often). :)

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Some people have said so, but in all the years I've kept them in open-top tanks they did just fine. I did lose them once, when I had a CO2 overdose, so they jumped ship... but that was a valid reason, and it was my fault, so it doesn't count as far as saying that "amano shrimp like to climb out of open top tanks." Other than that one time, I've kept amanos for over 3 years in open top tanks and they never explore outside of the tanks.

I don't know what else to tell you, then, because the majority of the shrimp we keep in planted freshwater tanks are less than an inch long full grown, which makes them expensive fish food.

Ghost shrimp thrive in hard water, and get to be a little larger than amanos, if that's an option for you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts