The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems that most shrimp come from Asia. I'm looking for a shrimp (peaceful, small/inconspicuous, and will eat algae) for my planned 55g South American Biotope.

Mountain or rock shrimp get too large and wouldn't serve the purpose I need.

I'm thinking that if I can't find anything else, I'll go with wild/brown Neocaridina. Apparently, some of their relatives come from SA...

Suggestions?

·
Registered
200 Posts
I know there are "ghost" shrimp from the Amazon that sometimes appear for sale. But really, I do not see most shrimp from areas not Asia appearing much. Goodluck finding someone who has Amazon shrimp for you.
Yellownosed shrimp come from the Caribean, that is closer, so does a small filterfeeding shrimp.
I am sure in a few years we will find some from other parts of the world. I guess the reson most shrimps are from Asia is because that is where a lot of the work was created, such as those red shrimps, initially. Many fish farms there also.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know there are "ghost" shrimp from the Amazon that sometimes appear for sale. But really, I do not see most shrimp from areas not Asia appearing much. Goodluck finding someone who has Amazon shrimp for you.
Yellownosed shrimp come from the Caribean, that is closer, so does a small filterfeeding shrimp.
I am sure in a few years we will find some from other parts of the world. I guess the reson most shrimps are from Asia is because that is where a lot of the work was created, such as those red shrimps, initially. Many fish farms there also.
I just found info on the Amazon Glass Shrimp. Looks like it could be hard to get ahold of, but might be worth it if I could.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.