The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see a lot of people talking about Excel and Shrimp and how it is or isn't going to kill them. Figured I would document my experience for anyone who wanted to see how I (hopefully) avoid killing my colony off and kill my BBA.

I had been using Aqueon Plant Food - and it helped a little for plant growth...maybe.

I have a bad outbreak of BBA and after tying everything else, I decided to dose Excel. Last night I dosed 2.5 mL for my 10 gallon tank (half of what is recommended) Shrimp are alive and well today and half of my BBA is gone...I also have three new runners from my Sag, new leaf on my Sword, and a magical recuperation of an Anubias leaf that looked like it was hanging on for dear life before Excel.

Tomorrow I will dose another mL (for now I will keep dosing to every other day) I'll let you all know the progress.

Picture is from today and only shows one of my effected plants...unfortunately the quality is not the best and its rather overgrown (do a mating rain dance for my CPDs please)...but you can see the Sag is looking rather rough. A majority of it has a carpet of BBA on the edges of the leaves.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Dosed 1mL yesterday. I have seen a small reduction in BBA, since it is not getting worse I'll take it as a win. Found a berried shrimp today, but she is just now moving her eggs to her swimmerets...though she appears to be pulling some off. She is from my second generation and may be a little young yet to have a successful hatch. I do have a first generation lady that looks like she is about ready to molt, so I suppose that will be the real test. Everyone still seems to be active, though it took them longer than usual this morning to come out. Their color seems to be losing a bit of intensity, but that may just be in my head.

I do have a question about my berried shrimp. She has very large eggs hanging on the very ends of her swimmerets. Maybe this is an old clutch that I hadn't seen. If so, will she let them go and then they hatch, or do they hatch off of her. She is only pulling off some of new small eggs. The larger ones are holding on for dear life.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
imo you should be spot treating the algae for best effects...not just randomly pour excel into the tank. same concept with peroxide.
Ok, we'll see how this goes. For the record I am not looking to start a fight or disagree with anyone. This is an real question...

How does "spot" treating a water soluble solution into a tank full of water make any difference as to "randomly pouring" it in?

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
Ok, we'll see how this goes. For the record I am not looking to start a fight or disagree with anyone. This is an real question...

How does "spot" treating a water soluble solution into a tank full of water make any difference as to "randomly pouring" it in?
That way the initial contact with the solution on the algae will have the full strength, or nearly it. The difference is when you just pour excel into the water column, you're diluting the treatment before it comes into contact with the algae depending on the distance from the algae you're pouring. It's all about diffusion and concentration of the chemical in the water.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Spot treatment is best with all the circulation shut down. I've lost a few RCS in a 3g but I'm guessing I was heavy handed with it. Also killed some BNP's doing spot treatments at 2 different times. I'd guess they got into the area where I treated too soon.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.