The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everyone, I have a kinda two part question?:help: I was wondering if youz guyz could recomend some cool shrimp for a freshwater planted tank that basically wont eat all my plants and also a type of "small" schooling fish that are compatable with them, as i don't want to give the fish a shrimp cocktail party. My tank is only planted now with no creatures and is only 20 gal. any ideas would be great.:hihi: THANKS

·
Registered
486 Posts
All "Caridina" and "Neocaridina" family shrimp are great algae eaters and will not eat live plant matter. I would recommend the "Amano Shrimp" (Caridina japonica), the "Red Cherry Shrimp" (Neocaridina sp.), and "Ghost Shrimp" (Palaemonetes paludosus).

The "Amano Shrimp" will eat large amounts of algae as where the "Red Cherry Shrimp" will eat more specialized algae. The "Ghost Shrimp" will take care of detritus and hair/string algae. The best thing is that all of these shrimp are very hardy and will not interbreed with each other!

Fish that can be housed with shrimp are anything with small appetites and small mouths. Neon Tetras, Cardinal Tetras, and Otocinclus are all great candidates.

I hope this helps.

NOTE: Cover your filter intake with a sponge pre-filter in order to preserve the lives of baby shrimp.

Cheers,
Justin

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.