The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here in a few weeks I will be trying my hand at a Cherry Red Shrimp Tank. I currently have a few fish in there to balance it out with my plants. Plus who likes an empty tank.
I am, however, contemplating keeping the 4 Harlequin Rasboras (may be false Harlequins, I really am not sure, bought them off somebody).

It's going to be moderate planted with mostly christmas moss, java moss, anubias petite, and water wisteria for the shrimp.

Will the Shrimp be ok with the Rasboras in there? Or should I worry about them going after the newborns?

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
712 Posts
I do not have cherry shrimp yet. However, I have asked and researched extensively this question - I'm also going to introduce cherry shrimp into an established tank.

Harlequin Rasboras are very unlikely to go after the shrimp. Even if you notice how they eat, they don't forage on the bottom of the tank...they usually eat anything thats free floating or falling down.

With enough cover and mostly mature shrimp, I think your shrimp population will be just fine. If they do breed, you may lose a few shrimplets but I'm sure you can maintain a breeding population in your tank.

I'm introducing cherry's with much more notable shrimp-eating fish and I've been told its possible (though far from guaranteed).

I think you're ok :p

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah the Rasboras obviously don't hang out near the bottom of the tank, always at the top and middle. So I guess I shouldn't be too worried about them going after babies. Plus there should be plenty of moss and plants down low for the shrimp to hide in.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts