The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
That appears to just be a pre-filter screen, and nothing more. I'd still rather use a pre-filter sponge. The sponges provide more surface area for bacteria to colonize on, and it also gives a place for shrimp to pick little bits of food and micro organisms from.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
That appears to just be a pre-filter screen, and nothing more. I'd still rather use a pre-filter sponge. The sponges provide more surface area for bacteria to colonize on, and it also gives a place for shrimp to pick little bits of food and micro organisms from.
Using a prefilter for bacteria seems silly, considering how often they need to rinsed. This would provide adequate protection while still likely allowing more flow than prefilter sponges do.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would say both would be good, but if you use Sponge u need always clean them :(
That was the only thing I was worried about pulling it out all the time. I dont mind cleaning leaves or anything from it but it would be a pain to clean the sponge so much.

This would provide adequate protection while still likely allowing more flow than prefilter sponges do.
This is what I was thinking as well but its always good to get other views on it since I have never owned shrimp.

Why wouldn't you need to clean this screen thing?
You would need to if leaves or crud build up. I would think it would be easier then pulling a sponge out though. Worse comes to worse just shut the filter off let the leaves come to the surface and then scoop them out.

Thanks for the replies also. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Looks like it would work just fine. But like others, if I am going to use a prefilter, might as well slap a sponge on there. Extra bacteria, places to shrimp to forage, and keeping the shrimp safe. Win-win for me. I just clean mine in a bucket of old tank water when I do water changes. No worries of killing off the bacteria by tap water.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
i think it depends also on how fine of a sponge you are using. i use the ac sponges cut down as my pre filters on shrimp tanks. only need to clean them once a month or so.

to answer your question no never used one before.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Stainless rots? I never knew that. I wear stainless in my mouth daily and they been fine for years.
Stainless steel has standards, they are not all same. obviously yours is high end product. This is reasonable, if it rots in your mouth, it will trigger a big sue to them, so they have to be careful of the material they are going to use. Check any stainless steel web site, you can see different numbers/levels.

For low level application that is not critical, low level stainless steel can be used to save money.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Stainless steel has standards, they are not all same. obviously yours is high end product. This is reasonable, if it rots in your mouth, it will trigger a big sue to them, so they have to be careful of the material they are going to use. Check any stainless steel web site, you can see different numbers/levels.

For low level application that is not critical, low level stainless steel can be used to save money.
lol these were cheap I don't think there to high end of a grade. I have never saw stainless steel rust or anything which is why I asked. Guess you learn something new everyday. I know there is alot of different grades but I have yet to see them rust so far.

I have worked with 100 Series and it didn't rust and I have used all the way up to 2205 and never saw rust there either. I must be missing something then when I use it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Inexpensive "Stainless" steel from China is not always stainless steel. I've seen the difference between the screws used in our consumer grade products versus the stuff we source in North America for the industrial equipment.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I have one of these but haven't had the chance to try it out yet.
It is a piece of stainless steel mesh rolled into a tube shape with a bit of overlap. A small disk of mesh the diameter of the tube is cut for the bottom and it is all held together with electrical shrink wrap. Find some fine stainless steel mesh and you could make your own pretty easy.

·
Registered
216 Posts
you can make any intake cover with any open cell sponge filter. Make sure it is no less than 30PPI or baby shrimp my get stuck...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.