The Planted Tank Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Ok all you tiger enthusiasts out there, I need your help.

I have been searching all over the internet and these are the most comprehensive grading charts I've been able to find:

My questions for you guys:

a) Do these look right to you? Are these the most common names for these breeds? Do any of them go by other names?

b) How does the breeding work with these guys? Do they all fit on a grading spectrum like crystal reds (A ---> SSS) or is it a grid like the Taiwan bees?

c) Do blues come from BTOEs and the blacks from regular/super tigers, or what? Where do all the shrimp in the above charts come from?

d) Are any of these created by blending different tigers? For example, the one with red stripes ... is it a BTOE x red tiger mix or do the red stripes just spontaneously appear in BTOE populations?

Help

p.s. Do you think I'd have to do two entries for black diamond (black eyes) and black diamond (orange eyes)? It seems to me like they're both just black diamonds.... in my own CRS population, some have black eyes and some have red, but they're all still just CRS... right? How big a deal is eye color in tiger shrimps?

·
Invert Warrior
3,886 Posts
Shrimp Family Tree Project (part 1 - caridina cantonensis)

Ok all you tiger enthusiasts out there, I need your help.

I have been searching all over the internet and these are the most comprehensive grading charts I've been able to find:

My questions for you guys:

a) Do these look right to you? Are these the most common names for these breeds? Do any of them go by other names?

b) How does the breeding work with these guys? Do they all fit on a grading spectrum like crystal reds (A ---> SSS) or is it a grid like the Taiwan bees?

c) Do blues come from BTOEs and the blacks from regular/super tigers, or what? Where do all the shrimp in the above charts come from?

d) Are any of these created by blending different tigers? For example, the one with red stripes ... is it a BTOE x red tiger mix or do the red stripes just spontaneously appear in BTOE populations?

Help

p.s. Do you think I'd have to do two entries for black diamond (black eyes) and black diamond (orange eyes)? It seems to me like they're both just black diamonds.... in my own CRS population, some have black eyes and some have red, but they're all still just CRS... right? How big a deal is eye color in tiger shrimps?
Well..

A. These are superfluous names. OBETs are just OBETs, they don't breed true 100%. It is a commonly known thing that they throw out blonde.

I don't know about the red stripe one... But royal blue shrimp don't all have orange eyes. They're definitely not OBETs.

B. See above.. The OBETs won't throw royal blue unless there's an odd mutation, and they won't throw red either. I wouldn't list different grades of OBETs.

You'll have to get someone else for C and D.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
UPDATE

This suddenly got very dense. Please let me know if any of the text is difficult to read so I can fix it. Also, I am not a graphic designer, so I am grateful for any advice from those of you who are!

I've been doing a lot of research and I think the tiger section is correct now. Maybe.

What is the difference between a pinto and a fancy tiger? I'm having trouble telling them apart. If anyone can post some pictures of very representative examples that would be awesome... It may take me a bit of time to color in all these shrimps so the faster I can get reference materials together the better!

Thanks everyone!

·
Premium Member
7,997 Posts
Fancy tiger is a mix between crs and tiger, basically a tiger with black and white stripes or red and white stripes. A pinto is a cross between taiwan bee and tiger, f2 and higher.

Also, a golden bee is not a mix of orange bee and snow white, it's a mutation just like white crystal or taiwan bee.

And I don't think orange bee is what crs comes from either. I think they are from two separate regions.

Also, blue bolt and red bolt aren't from snow whites, they're from Goldens crossed to bkk or wr, usually not present until f3

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Wow, I was way off on the golden and snow white stuff. Thanks for correcting me!

Ok, the wild bee isthis guy, right? Do you know if this or the orange bee are descended from one another or are they totally independent of each other?

I have the red tiger and super tiger marked as being descended from the normal tiger and I don't know if that's correct, either.

Thanks for clearing up all these things. It's a really big help!

·
Premium Member
7,997 Posts
Wild bee is a misleading name for a group of shrimp including caridina trifascia, caridina breviata and others similarly marked.

CRS descend from cbs, cbs are what the "wild" version of cbsand crs are. To me, orange bee is what happens in the wild wwhen two separate populations of cantonensis encounter each other. Anyone breeding tibees or mixing tigers and OEBT and others will notice their f1 and some f2 resemble the "orange bee" quite closely. But since the "orange bee" has not been available for a long time, it's impossible to know even if that was a true strain or just a sample of wild shrimp that was captured and sold on the aquarium market.

Super tiger does not descend from tigers, they are a separate wild population. It is probable that they descended from them originally, but they were not bred that way, it was natural selection that made them super.

I know nothing about red tigers except that sometimes regular tigers will make them, less than one percent of offspring. I bred 2 in a year by total mistake while breeding and selling normal tigers.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Hey so ... what genus is a blue bee? I have seen it listed as both caridina and paracaridina. Does anyone have any better information about it?

So far I have colored 38 of the shrimp on my chart. Currently working on the blue bees, and after that the tibees and I'm done!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Thanks. Here's the newest version:

I beg you guys to please look at this closely and let me know if there are any errors or legibility issues. Please tell me if any of the pictures do not accurately portray their breed. Also, tibees still really confuse me. Even though I now know the difference in terms of how they are made, I still don't really know the difference in how they look.

Whenever this is done I'll try and post some higher-res image. Photobucket always kind of makes it a little blurry.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Great works. I really like your illustration style!
I think you might wanna add Hinomaru/Hinomaru-no entry/Mosura/Flower head BKK/WR.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Thanks!

I think you might wanna add Hinomaru/Hinomaru-no entry/Mosura/Flower head BKK/WR.
I knew about those patterns on CRS/CBS... are they on BKK/WR too? Shrimp are so amazing.

I considered adding the patterns to this chart but I was worried it would be too much. It seems like when you get to bee shrimp you can get as granular as you please, and I didn't want the image size to explode so I tried contain myself. That said, if enough people feel this thing would be improved with a pattern guide I can add one. :)

Thanks for the feedback!

21 - 40 of 82 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.