The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question about the exoskeleton of freshwater shrimp, or skin, whatever it is called.

I have 7 Red Rili's in a 10" bowl and in their first week they have shed their skin a fair amount. Should I have any concern with that skin just sitting in the bowl? Will it affect water quality at all over time or in a short amount of time?

I know from experience in my CRS tank that they can and will eat it, but having on 7 of them, they obviously don't eat a lot.

Ignore them or pull them out?

And here is a sweet picture for you to enjoy I took last night.

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
Leave it, they will consume it if they feel it is necessary. Anything that is left will degrade and recycled back into their enclosed environment.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
i just leave it most of the time cause they will eat it for their shell if they need it. if they just look to ugly then i suck them out with air line hose but i always leave a few

·
Registered
702 Posts
What do you mean when you say they have shed their skin a fair amount in the last week? Do you mean that each shrimp has moulted more than once?

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
seeing your shrimp molt when entering a new tank is normal. infact, i'd be concerned if they didnt shed their shells.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
leave the shells. i never take them out. they'll get eaten or melt into water or whatever and shrimps can consume that way too.

·
Registered
6,169 Posts
Studman, buy some amanos and then wait for them to molt. You should see how huge that thing is lol.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@diwu13 - I've got several Amano's in my 29G and they are pretty amazing looking things.
@Sugardaddy1979 - It appears each shrimp has molted at least once. Probably not more than that from what I see. I'm only there M-F so I don't have a definite answer.

@Everybody else - As long as the skin isn't potentially dangerous I'll leave it in there. I don't care about looks. Thanks for your input guys!

·
Registered
6,169 Posts
Yea :)! Only time you'd wanna remove the molt is if the shrimp has voricella. You don't want them to eat the infected molt.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Yea :)! Only time you'd wanna remove the molt is if the shrimp has voricella. You don't want them to eat the infected molt.
Voricella? or Varicella?

what is this (I mean, I know what Varicella is) and can shrimp really have this? What are the symptoms?

I'm super interested because this is the first I've heard of this... please, do share your info with us diwu!

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
Voricella? or Varicella?

what is this (I mean, I know what Varicella is) and can shrimp really have this? What are the symptoms?

I'm super interested because this is the first I've heard of this... please, do share your info with us diwu!
He meant Voricella. They are a parasite that sits on the top of the exoskeleton, normally near the head of shrimp. Usually caused by bad water, left over food, etc.

·
Registered
6,169 Posts
Voricella? or Varicella?

He meant Voricella. They are a parasite that sits on the top of the exoskeleton, normally near the head of shrimp. Usually caused by bad water, left over food, etc.
Yea what getochkn said. I can't find that article on voricella from shrimp now...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.