The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just found a few baby shrimps in my canister after cleaning it for the first time in a while (first ever babies!). I fished them out of the dirty water before pouring it away; I only got 4 shrimps but I suppose that is better than none! I hadn't fitted a prefilter so that's why they ended up in there.

What can I do to keep these little guys away from the mouths of my dwarf puffers? The puffers do fine with the bigger cherry shrimps but I doubt these guys will be ok as they are about 1cm max. At the moment they are in a small plastic bowl with some tank water.

I don't have a breeder box but I thought a shrimp net suspended could work (only have a normal fish net tho!). Tank is only 30L so I am limited for space.

Keep them in a bowl or should I make some improvised separator?

Cheers

·
Registered
175 Posts
A bowl with water from the tank would work as a very temporary solution, but getting a breeder box or something to keep them separate from the puffers in the main tank is going to be the best solution aside from setting up a separate tank just for them. If you got a shrimp net that might work as a temporary solution as well, but Shrimp nets are usually small.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A bowl with water from the tank would work as a very temporary solution, but getting a breeder box or something to keep them separate from the puffers in the main tank is going to be the best solution aside from setting up a separate tank just for them. If you got a shrimp net that might work as a temporary solution as well, but Shrimp nets are usually small.
I reckon the normal net I have may just be fine enough to hold them. Lets have a look!

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
You're better off setting up a new tank for them.... I've used a couple of different styles of breeder boxes (type from regular pet stores) and found shrimp inside that I did not place in there or others that were missing...

·
Registered
308 Posts
survival of the fittest? 30L is pretty big and if its heavily planted, most of em will make it

1 - 5 of 5 Posts