The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I've noticed recently noticed that my shrimp have been eating my mayaca and hygro plants. They are stripping off the leaves. I feed them carrots, zucchini, and algae tabs a couple times a week. I'm watching some of them sitting on a slice of zucchini right next to the mayaca that's covered in them. It's like they prefer the mayaca. :/ Any thoughts or suggestions on how to keep them off? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
What kind of shrimp are you keeping? Most shrimp are more interested in eating the biofilm than plants.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Wow. I have never had cherry shrimp eat live plants. They are actually stripping the leaves off?

How long has your tank been planted? Is it possible that your plants are switching from emersed to submerged growth, and the old leaves are dying off and those are the ones being eaten by the shrimp?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow. I have never had cherry shrimp eat live plants. They are actually stripping the leaves off?

How long has your tank been planted? Is it possible that your plants are switching from emersed to submerged growth, and the old leaves are dying off and those are the ones being eaten by the shrimp?
Yes, a ton of the mayaca is down to just the stems, and the hygro has tons of leaves shredded.

The tank has been up and running for about a year, planted the whole time. The mayaca has been in the tank for 4 or 5 months, the hygro for about 3. I don't know why they are eating the plants. The plants don't look like they are dying. I don't understand why they are choosing to eat the live plants rather than the zucchini and stuff I put in there. It's so weird.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.