The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 55 gallon planted tank that is pretty light on fish right now. I have 2 otto's, an SAE, a BN pleco, a couple Endlers and a school of 11 black neon tetras.

Two weeks ago, I added about 10 new CRS ranging in size from about 5mm to full grown. They've all disappeared except the two largest! No evidence of jumping. No one hiding in the filter, and I havn't seen ANY sign of them in the tank.

Did some of my fish eat them? I can't think of anywhere else they coulda gone!

·
Registered
102 Posts
SAE are known to hunt down shrimp or your CRS are very good at hiding. The black neon are a possibility, but from my experience they just hang out the mid level of the tank.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I would think the only culprit could be the neons. I had read that sometimes neons get aggressive with shrimp. I will be trying Red Cherries in about a week in a tank with 8 Cardinal Tetras, so I hope my extra feeding will help keep the cardinals off the shrimp.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Crs

I have a 55 gallon planted tank that is pretty light on fish right now. I have 2 otto's, an SAE, a BN pleco, a couple Endlers and a school of 11 black neon tetras.

Two weeks ago, I added about 10 new CRS ranging in size from about 5mm to full grown. They've all disappeared except the two largest! No evidence of jumping. No one hiding in the filter, and I havn't seen ANY sign of them in the tank.

Did some of my fish eat them? I can't think of anywhere else they coulda gone!

Likely endlers! I have several hundreds of CRS-es, which propagated themselves in the presence of at least three dozen of neons, many rasboras ; glowlight tetras and other small sorts of fish. I hardly ever noticed any depradation on small CRS-es.

Note one thing - I have a lot of plant cover all over the tank with a densly covered back wall with Java moss and three varieties of java fern, so giving birth or molting is most likely a very safe proposition fot CRS-es. The newly born have a safe haeven in large clumps of 'pellia'.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It could be the endlers--they definitely seemed interested when I dropped the new ones in... Funny, as the endlers themselves aren't *that* much bigger than the missing shrimp

Interestingly, I found a single shrimplet and fry in the tank tonight--maybe there is more going on in there than I can see...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts