The Planted Tank Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
Update:

All shrimp are either out of sight or I have removed their remains.

API copper test kit returned zero copper.

Bladder snails are multiplying like crazy.

I did see one of the Nerites cruising the driftwood..

I am stumped and concerned about adding anything else to the tank.

Plants are doing OK. No algae issues so far.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
Not sure how to answer. Before they died they had erratic behavior which included jerky motion and the inability to position themselves. After death they just lay on the substrate and their color went from red to pale orange.

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
It honestly sounds like a toxin exposure... something specific to that tank that's not harming the other tank.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
It honestly sounds like a toxin exposure... something specific to that tank that's not harming the other tank.
My best guess is that it is one of the three large driftwood pieces, each of which is anchored to a piece of slate covered by aqua soil and rocks:frown2:

Snails seem immune.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Sorry about your shrimp. 😞
Me too. I have really enjoyed them in my first tank. They seemed to be so comfortable and at home.

I did a bit of reading about driftwood last night. One of my pieces might be either cedar or spruce. Evidently some of these species can be toxic in an aquarium. I purchased it online due to its really interesting shape but it may be leaching sap.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Very possible that it is leaching something toxic, if it is fresh wood. Or was it soaked already and sank right away?
The wood was only in the tank a couple of weeks after I weighted the pieces with slate before I added a couple of snails and some shrimp. I did test the water for the usual signs of cycling. The water was only yellow from tannin very briefly and after a few water changes that has gone away. Still deciding if I will pull the one questionable piece of wood or just wait a while and try another volunteer. I did see one shrimp today. I do still have carbon and Purigen in the filter...

Thanks for asking.

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
Might be better to pull it then and do a large water change.

Can you contact the seller to find out for sure what kind of wood?

·
Registered
174 Posts
I'd say driftwood leaching. Lost several Discus because of nsame. New 44 gallon tank set-up, that I used all accessories from a cycled 29 gallon. I had to tear it down completely and use a razor blade to remove driftwood and set back up. No deaths after that. Good luck.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I'd say driftwood leaching. Lost several Discus because of nsame. New 44 gallon tank set-up, that I used all accessories from a cycled 29 gallon. I had to tear it down completely and use a razor blade to remove driftwood and set back up. No deaths after that. Good luck.
Thanks. After several large water changes, carbon and Purigen in the filter...and time, I now have three shrimp that have settled in. Nerites still looking good.

I really like the scape that I have and so am still dragging my feet on pulling the one driftwood "suspect" that is the center piece of the tank and holds back a lot of aqua soil from the sandy front "beach".

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Really good news.

Looks like the water changes, Purigen, and carbon have paid off. I pulled the prefilter on my Oase pump and actually found a baby shrimp. That was a surprise. The adult shrimp are showing more normal behavior, as in grazing and not running laps around the tank. I now have several nerites and also two Ottos who gratefully seem unfazed in that low key Otto sort of way.

A good day.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)
Based upon moving a few shrimp, and fish slowly over a week with success I did my migration today.

25 gallon rimless Landen tank to 75g Waterbox. 3 hours of moving the rest of the fish and shrimp along with selected plants.

Everyone looks healthy although a bit beat from being chased by the Net Monster!

Thanks to those who offered suggestions. Still not sure what the issue was.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts