The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems like my shrimp (well, most of them at least) die after molting....usually one or two per water change. Are there any water parameters I need to monitor in order to ensure a safer molt for my shrimp or anything I need to add? They are fire red cherry shrimp and amano shrimp.

·
Premium Member
7,997 Posts
100% well water, do you know the GH and KH of it? The nitrate content?

If you're near a farming area, nitrates and ammonia will run-off into your water table, it could raise them every time you change water.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No mining near me as far as I know. Quite rural. :) The property I live on and the surrounding properties have nothing TO mine...only farmland, woods, etc. There are two farms beside my house though...soybeans/feed corn and the other one hasn't been farmed this year. I'll have to run a full water test on my tap tomorrow and see what it yields. Anything I need to look out for and if I have high nitrates do I need to amend my EI dosing?

·
Premium Member
7,997 Posts
If you have high nitrates, I would.

Most likely it's a GH or KH problem, either too high or too low, they cause molting problems. Also feeding strictly protein foods can exacerbate that.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They mainly eat flake food that's leftover and graze my HC. I also drop in shrimp pellet or two each night at lights off and offer them 1/4 of an algae wafer every 2nd night in place of the pellet(s). What do I use to test for GH/KH? I haven't seen any kits at my local PetsMart...Also, in case of high nitrates how would I amend the EI dosing? K2SO4 in place of KNO3?

·
Registered
1,827 Posts

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Best way to lower the GH? Also, I've heard that cherry shrimp can pretty much survive on anything and don't really need to be specialty fed...I'd rather them just live off general food than have to spend extra on specialty foods if possible.

·
Registered
121 Posts
It seems like my shrimp (well, most of them at least) die after molting....usually one or two per water change. Are there any water parameters I need to monitor in order to ensure a safer molt for my shrimp or anything I need to add? They are fire red cherry shrimp and amano shrimp.
How offten do you do water change and how much do you do?
Doing water change offten is not good for shrimp and lots of water change can also cause big stress to shrimps.

·
Registered
300 Posts
You might also feed some fresh veggies. Blanched Spinach, Romaine or Zucchini. Just make sure no pesticides.

+1 for checking water.
Mine eat a very varied diet. I try to aim for more plant matter and only some animal protein.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
16,969 Posts
No mining near me as far as I know. Quite rural.
Mining doesn't have to be near you to impact your water.

I have employees who have issues in your area thanks to mining some 70ish miles away. Mining, actually, that occurred in the 70s.

I grew up with a similar issue in Eastern Kentucky.

Just be aware that things leech into your water for ages.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, I do have a friend of the family that lives about 5 minutes from here that could (and has previously) supply me with free RO water (he's a reefer) if my tap water is THAT bad. Any particular elements I need to be testing for aside from the normal ammonia, nitrates, nitrites, pH, KH and GH?

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I don't currently own a GH or KH test kit (ordering one Monday), but here is the breakdown of my tap:

Nitrates: About 20-30ppm
Nitrites: 0 ppm
Ammonia: 0 ppm
pH: 6.0~6.2

Nothing too out of the ordinary....maybe just indicating that the water is a bit soft since the pH is rather low out of the tap...I think at least. :hihi: Also, the fact that I have a 20g long that's ONLY planted with HC leads me to believe that I should probably cut down on my EI dosing (that's made for well-planted tanks with lots of stems) and maybe dose for a 10g.....or at least reduce my current dosing by a certain %. Thoughts on this?

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
My neighbor is a commercial crabber on the Chesapeake Bay and when crabs molt it takes so much energy that afterwards they have almost no meat left in their bodies, we call them paper shells and folks know there not good to eat cause there empty. My point is good food for your shrimp may help them survive after the molt, I'm no shrimp expert but I would explore that area.

If you have well water why do you add prime, I thought that was use to remove Chloramines, etc?

Just a couple thoughts maybe a mineral rock and some really good food would help after the molt, your nitrates are a little high from the tap but mine survive that but I've not seen any of my shrimp molt yet. I think you could try to dose a little less every week and see if you can stretch out the time between water changes a little if this is when the most damage is done, you do have a ton of nitrates in the tap so a water change is not really reseting the tank.

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
You could also see if your LFS sells RO water, if so you could buy a 5 gallon bucket and start with a 50/50 water change to see if it helps. I see a lot of folks in my LFS come in for RO and Salted RO for thier tanks, it's a good solution for smaller tanks and I think it's $0.50 a gallon here.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
None of the LFS around here sell RO/DI water...and they're very shoddy LFS at that. Like I said though, I could get free RO water from a guy who lives less distance from me than town. All I'd have to do is pick up a couple extra 5g water jugs for him to fill and it'd be good to go. Also, to the high nitrate comment....replacing my KNO3 with K2SO4 would eliminate excess Nitrates, I think at least as the plants would use up that 40ppm over the week + whatever the fish/shrimp produce.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.