The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a tank of Rc's a tank of blues and a tank of yellows....
Reds are breeding like crazy. The blues are next and are doing great
The yellows are really slow....I have 1 berried female...

tank parameters are stable and all the same...

·
Banned
70 Posts
This is a guess, as I don't know what actual species each variety is, but let's assume they are all a form of Neocaridina davidi.
The breeding process to select color traits may also influence other aspects of genetics, such as reproductive behavior, hardiness, etc. You can't really compare cherries to blueberries if you'll excuse the horrible pun :D

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They are all Neocaridina davidi-
The yellows are slow to get busy......

maybe more Barry White music?

·
Banned
70 Posts
You could try doing a couple small water changes with RO. That always seemed to cause mine to do the horizontal mambo.
Turn the lights down low, put on some Al Green, and let the magic happen.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
My blue diamonds seem to go through cycles of saddling and breeding and not even saddling. If your yellows are saddled then maybe you just need to wait it out. Otherwise there could be something wrong.
People keep telling me that yellows are as hardy as cherries, but I distinctly remember when that was not the case, so maybe that's it too.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Possibly the more selective bred (inbred) strains/variants, just don't reproduce as readily. For whatever reason that may be, like the more inbred strains having weaker immune systems so they are more easily stressed compared to hardier, less inbred strains, so they don't mate as much.

Or maybe the differences you are seeing are due to tank conditions (the tanks may have different amounts of biofilm/microorganisms, algae, etc). Or various adapted water parameters for the given bred strain. Or gender ratio or just pure amount of shrimp in the group, etc.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.