The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright so I have gone to my LFS twice and bought shrimp (4 ghost shrimp, 3CRS) and both times the shrimp are dead the next day.

I started my tank in August, so it should have cycled. I used a chealator to bind the chloramine and chlorine and I keep the same EI dosing schedule of KNO3, K2HPO4, K2SO4, CSB+B, and Fe constant. My pH and temp are relatively constant; 7.2 and 80F respectively. The water hardness is bn 75-150ppm.

What do you guys think is killing my shrimp? Did I under dose the chloramine/chloride binder (I used 5ml/10gallons)? I used the Fluval product that came with my Fluval 7.9 gallon nano tank.

·
Registered
104 Posts
as for the ghost shrimp ever one i have ever bought has died whit in 2 weeks or so, i think its has to do whit the fact they are feeder shrimp in a lot of places.

as for the CRS what is in the tank, could any thing be eating them?
how big is the tank?
what kind of filter do you run?
are you adding co2? try adding and air stone to the water you might need more o2 in the water

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have 2 otos, 3 fancy guppies, and 4 neon tetras in the tank too. I use the fluval nano filter + aqua clear 20gallon HOB with purigen. I have DIY CO2 in a 7.9 gallon tank planted with narrow leaf sag, java fern, and broadleaf ludwigia.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
something with the water...
do you acclimate them for about 30 mins? i can expect that reaction if they are just dumped in (but i dont think you're doing that).
it could be the CO2 injection. does the pH swing from day to night time? how low does it go at night and how high in the day time?
and if you overdose ferts, that might be it too. maybe try dosing less when you want shrimp in there, and control the CO2 better? idk what else to suggest.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the tips. I acclimated them for 30min. The NO3 40 ppm, NO2 0 ppm, dGH 150 ppm, KH 120 ppm, pH 7.2. Water temp still at 80F. No water softeners. I can't test for copper.

And you guys are right. My mistake. I had cherry red shrimp. Not Crystal reds. I had a mix up with the abbreviations.

I will decrease the dosing on my ferts and man up to buy the legit CO2 systems instead of the DIY rig I have now.

·
Registered
104 Posts
For cherrys you should be ok whit tap water unless you have really bad water. How long are the shrimp in the tank before they get on thiere backs? I had cherrys do that before i cut back on co2 and added a air stone. But if they are lasting days then thats not it.

·
Super Moderator
16,938 Posts
That water is fine for Neo shrimp but still a bit too warm for an ideal environment.

You should probably pick up a Copper test kit just to be on the safe side.

Nitrates are a bit high - that's if your test kit is accurate - but that's nothing to be worried about. Tons of folks keep shrimp in EI dosed tanks with high nitrates with no problems.

Thanks for all the tips. I acclimated them for 30min. The NO3 40 ppm, NO2 0 ppm, dGH 150 ppm, KH 120 ppm, pH 7.2. Water temp still at 80F. No water softeners. I can't test for copper.

And you guys are right. My mistake. I had cherry red shrimp. Not Crystal reds. I had a mix up with the abbreviations.

I will decrease the dosing on my ferts and man up to buy the legit CO2 systems instead of the DIY rig I have now.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
if they're cherry shrimp then it would probably be the CO2 at night coupled with warm temps causing a somewhat anoxic environment. that and maybe a pH swing from night to day.

the DIY CO2 rig should be ok, but slow the bubble rate down more i guess, and try to aerate the water at night with an air stone. see if that actually keeps the pH stable.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Ghost shrimp are kept in crap conditions and shipped in crap conditions most of the time. If your LFS haven't been keeping the CRS in the right conditions they may be already injured.

however, the Temp you have is just calling for a bacterial infection outbreak at 80F. The closer you are to flat 70, the better off you are.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Got it. Seems like the culprit is my co2. I will keep the same EI dosing and tap water, but change my co2 rate and add an air stone. I dont want to change too much at once. Thanks again for the help everyone!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.