The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am hoping someone with more experience might be able to identify what killed my shrimp. I found it lying on its side next to a moss ball, presumably dead. But on further inspection, it seemed like it was still alive, but immobilized or too weak to move. At least, I hope the part that's moving in the video clip is part of the shrimp and not some kind of parasite:

After several hours some of its limbs seemed to still be twitching, but now it is definitely dead. It was a Blue Bolt (caridina bee shrimp). Prior to its death it had been very pale with barely any blue coloration left, and for the last day it had been hanging onto the roots of some floating plants for hours, not moving from the spot. I've seen other shrimp on occasion sit in the same place for hours, but I attributed it to resting in connection to molting. The other shrimp's behaviour seems normal with them eating, grazing and moving normally. I had tested the water parameters just two days before and coincidentally even photographed the test tubes to troubleshoot a pH issue with my tank (see below).

Data:
  • 30 liter (7.9 gallon) aquarium: 29 x 29 x 35 cm / 11.4 x 11.4 x 13.7 in
  • Substrate: Amazonia v2 soil with Power Sand Advanced S.
  • Water: RO water remineralized with Salty Shrimp gH+
  • Conductivity: 300 μS / 150 TDS
  • pH: 7.2 (day)/6.8 (night)
  • Ammonia: 0
  • Nitrite: 0
  • Nitrate: 5
  • gH: 5
  • kH: 0 (1 drop gives a very faint yellow)
  • Temperature: Around 22 Celsius / 71,6 Fahrenheit (unheated)
  • Water changes: 10-15% every 2 weeks
  • No fertilizer, no CO2
  • Photo period: 8 hours (6W, 6500 Kelvin, 600 Lumen)
  • Aquarium set-up and cycled in August 2020
  • Stocked with bee shrimp in November 2020
  • Filter: AquaClear 20 HOB filter (provides surface agitation)
  • Feeding: GG Shrimp Dinner, Sera Shrimps Nature granules, GG Bacter AE (tiny amount), and organic, boiled spinach leaves and peas.

I stocked 15 shrimp in November 2020, but this is my 5th shrimp dying since then. I have not had any die for months since I increased feeding, so I figured the first ones might have been underfed, even though there should be plenty of biofilm and algae in the tank. It's a lot of surface area for 10-15 shrimp. But I have also not had any shrimplets or even seen berried females, so I suspect something is off.

The only water parameter I can find any fault with is that the pH is surprisingly high, despite using the active substrate and no rocks or gravel that might leach minerals. On the contrary, I have the large piece of mopani wood, cholla wood, several alder cones, and a catappa leaf. Shouldn't the pH be much lower? Here are the normal water measurements as well as "degassed" pH measurements with normal and high range tests:

Thank you for your time and any help!

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
The shrimp was definitely alive in the video... what you saw moving were the mouth parts.

I'm sorry, I'm not sure what killed your shrimp, but I agree that the pH is off. May be best to replace the substrate or figure out ways to add more to lower the pH back down.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.