The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, i was wodnering if anyone here breed shrimp and what type. I breed ghost shrimp. I also have brine shrimp, but when it comes to breeding shrimp i don't think those count.

i have them in a 10 gallon invert tank, with a big plant and javamoss. it is naturally filtered, shrimp, snails, and my freshwater flat clam are a good mix ^_^

the water is always clear thanks to my clam filtering the water, the snails cleaning the substrate and walls, and my shrimp eating stuff on the bottom. i feed them a mix of pellet food, they seem to like pellets more then flake. i guess they can eat it easier.

anyway, a few questions. one, how much should be in a 10 gallon tops? i don't want it crowded, like my walmart (100+ in one small tank). i want them to have plenty of room, not have to run to beat others to food, and i want them to feel happy and feel like breeding and having healthy little guys.

i have had a few batches so far. most of them are babies or young ones. i only have 2 big females that have my babies right now since the others are young. i just saw last night that i have a new batch coming too! :icon_mrgr

also, how old do they need to be to breed? i am just using the younger ones to help keep tanks clean until they are fairly large. then they will go to the breeder tank and the next generation of babies will work. so they get to work when there youngand then retire in a nice tank to have babies.

so could someone answer those questions?

also interested in what others breed!

·
Registered
780 Posts
All ghost shrimp have several larval stages, some species require brackish water for the larvae to survive.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i've never really seen any larvae things. all i ever see is the adult female with green eggs, and then i see usually about 7-10 or more babies.

i had toruble getting them to breed. i tried many times, but i always just put them in my old guppy tank, wich was planted. they never breed there.

finally, i got the invert tank, naturally filtered, crystal clear water, plenty of hiding places, and then i see one of my females using her swimmerets to airate the eggs. i've had 2-3 batches so far and i got another one on it's way.

but anyway, how many should be in each tank? the invert tank is a 10 gallon.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I have an air-driven sponge filter in my 10 gallon cherry shrimp tank to circulate the water. I thin out the population when there are a couple hundred mid-size juvies. There are also loads of ramshorns and MTS, along with a pair of dwarf crayfish in the tank.

·
Registered
200 Posts
ghost shrimp do count! I have bred ghost shrimp. FIrst shrimp I bred. I will tell you one thing, those swarf shrimps like cherries sure pump out a billion more babies that are a bit easier to raise then ghost babies, and there is not larval form when born. Glad to see someone else who loves the ghost shrimps.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
You don't want to overstock ghost shrimp in a tank. Congratulations on the breeding of you shrimp:D

Hey, i was wodnering if anyone here breed shrimp and what type.
I have been fortunate enough to have bred RCS, CRS and now have a tank of chameleon like shrimp.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i'm also jumping into the saltwater area of breeding. so once i get my main tank set up (wich i talk about in the gerneral disscussion area) i may check out like tiger shrimp or something. i really like the fire shrimp/filtering shrimp, whatever you call them.

in a 10 gallon, wouldn't a couple hundred be too much? even one hundred would be too much wouldn't it?

btw, i have a crayfish too. except i got mine accidently when i was harvesting pond plants and pond snails in the usmmer. h was a newborn with the blueish and redish tips on his claws. he is about 2+" right now. :)

the only water movement i have is an air pump to keep it moving slightly. i have to keep it moving that much whether there is shrimp or not, my clam doesn't like stand still water. he would die.

wich i found out sadly when i have had air pump tragedies in the past. i had around 7 clams, i spend weeks treating them after collectingthem in a local creek, now i only have one. my favorite big guy died last week. he had a beutiful mouth area with very healthy green algae. (they have this green algae stuff that grows near the part that would pop out of the gorund when hidden in the soil).

i havent seen the pregnant female today. but i thought i saw a real small shrimp, but it may have been from the last batch.

how long is this larval state and what does it look like?

does anyone know some good webpages with good info on saltwater shrimp? and any suggestions of where to start there? i am getting tons of little white shrimp to help feed the snowflake eel i'm getting, so i will breed those, but thats like ghost shrimp probably, they look like it but get bigger. i'm guessing they breed easy. (PS: the eel will of course have other food, so no one worry about that)

so any suggestions?

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
ghost shrimp do count! I have bred ghost shrimp. FIrst shrimp I bred. I will tell you one thing, those swarf shrimps like cherries sure pump out a billion more babies that are a bit easier to raise then ghost babies, and there is not larval form when born. Glad to see someone else who loves the ghost shrimps.
Ghosts deffinatly count!!!!!! MUCH harder to breed than RCS I'm not too sure about CRS but eventually I will be able to give my opinions on the difficulty of ghosts compared to CRS..

Ghost shrimp DO have a larval stage. I never saw the larva but I know they do because you never see any SUPER tiny ones like CRS and RCS and others.

Do you have any pictures of your clam? I really like FW molusks and Might start trying to get some different ones, As long as they're legal...:icon_wink

-Andrew

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i'll try to get a good pick of my remaining one as soon as i can. i legally started collecting them a month or so before it was getting cold. so i got them right before winter, wich was when my business, puddle inc, was closing for winter. so i sold about 5 or so, they all did good at there new homes except one. thisperson apparently didn't know anything about having a clam. she had like a thousand filtering things, and all this stufff, plus adding chemicals that obviously isn't safe for a clam, and killed it. then they griped at ME because they were being idiotic..

anyway, my business, puddle inc, is opening in the spring, no certain date set yet, but i'll be selling tons of new animals. if you want to get a clam and you decide to get it from puddle inc, i'll make sure you get a nice big healthy one :proud:

we will have the flat clams and normal mussels.

i also have ramhorn snails, mts, periwinkles, and pond snails, wich are also FW mollusks.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
That sounds like a really nice business! Just be careful with state and federal laws on FW mollusks since there are a ton because they are quite a problem to local waterways all over the USA it seems.. I heard that theres Zebra muscles in MA... might have to go look for some sometime!

Oh and put me on your list for mollusks once you get them!

-Andrew

1991 posts... aka my birth year:icon_lol:

·
Registered
889 Posts
i'll try to get a good pick of my remaining one as soon as i can. i legally started collecting them a month or so before it was getting cold. so i got them right before winter, wich was when my business, puddle inc, was closing for winter. so i sold about 5 or so, they all did good at there new homes except one. thisperson apparently didn't know anything about having a clam. she had like a thousand filtering things, and all this stufff, plus adding chemicals that obviously isn't safe for a clam, and killed it. then they griped at ME because they were being idiotic..

anyway, my business, puddle inc, is opening in the spring, no certain date set yet, but i'll be selling tons of new animals. if you want to get a clam and you decide to get it from puddle inc, i'll make sure you get a nice big healthy one :proud:

we will have the flat clams and normal mussels.

i also have ramhorn snails, mts, periwinkles, and pond snails, wich are also FW mollusks.
Sweet :D I hope I get the RCS soon so I can breed them to sell through Puddle Inc. :D

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i think zebra clams are illegal in most areas. i'll read more about them in a bit, but i've heard that there invasive in the wrong areas.

the site has a term of agreement thing when they buy something. if they buy an animal ilegal to there area, we are not liable and they should have looked it up.

i'm gonna try to get a page on the site saying whats legal and whats illegal to different areas, and that includes snails, clams, fish, turtles, etc! it will be a helpful page.

in the spring when i'm wading in that creek i'll keep my eye out for a nice big healthy clam for you. :proud:

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Wouldnt the clams feed on the ghost shrimp larvae?
Possibly. I'm pretty sure that their Lavae are larger than say Amano larva though, so they're usually safe.

@ Puddle, That sounds great LMK when you find one! Also, make sure not to overtake from the streams:proud:

-Andrew

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
yeah, i know. i'm onyl gonna take a certain amount at a time, like if there are 20 i see in an hour, take 7 or so, there are TONS of them hidden in the rocks but there hard to find. alsol, it's the same place where i find my periwinkle trumpet snails (black bumpy trumpets).

and i don't think the clams can eat them. my FW clams just slightly crack open to filter water. they don't really suck in anything bigger then a baby brine shrimp, if not smaller.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts