The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay im starting a shrimp breeding room! Cant wait. Tomorrow i am going to get the supplies but right now i am going to describe it to you. All substrate will be fluval shrimp stratum.

I am going to have a shelf and on it will be four 10 gallons, one 2.5 gallon, and one 29 gallon.

Tank 1:
10 gallon;
Inhabitants: Yellow shrimp and Crystal black shrimp

Tank 2:
10 gallon;
Inhabitants: Red Rili shrimp and Crystal red shrimp

Tank 3:
10 gallon;
Inhabitants: Snowball shrimp and blue tiger shrimp

Tank 4:
10 gallon;
Inhabitants: Blue Pearl shrimp

Tank 5:
2.5 gallon;
Inhabitants: Blue Rili shrimp

Tank 6:
29 gallon;
Inhabitants: CPO crayfish

Eventually more tanks will be added but now i need some stuff

First: Plants- Does anyone have any plants? yes i will pay for them. Maybe some mosses or something.

Second: Shrimp- This will come later. I already have the 6 CPO's in a 55 gallon with my painted fire reds. Also i have the Blue pearls and yellows. Does anyone have the Red Rilis,blue rilis, Snowball, CRS, CBS for reasonable prices?
thanks

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
With that many tanks, its going to cost a fortune in fluval shrimp stratum. Reading online, that stuff has mixed reviews. Most seem to say though, that if you want the buffering to last any amount of time, you need to use RO water. Tap water leeches the buffering agent out too fast. I was using it in some tank, then I had to redo all my tanks, so I went with eco-complete on the bottom and a top layer of the shrimp stratum. I like the way it looks and I'm not concerned with the buffering ability as it houses all my neo species, and tigers and they do fine in tap water pH. I plan on selling these online locally or to my lfs just to make a few bucks down the road, nothing serious, and rather have them bred and raised in close to tap water, as that whats 90% of the people who buy a few for there tank will be using anyways. The crystals do best in a lower pH, and maybe you should look at getting some better soil for them and raise them both in the same tank for a while until you get a good population of reds and blacks and then start breeding out and save the money on fancy soil for the ones that need it. The Cherries, rilis, yellows, snowballs, and even tigers can all do fine in regular soil/gravel really.

Have you been breeding your PFR's, blue pearls and yellows yet? What are you using for them? If not, that seems like a lot to take on at the start of getting into this. I'm juggling more species than I planned right now and its a lot of work, lots of water testing, keeping track of everything.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes my PFR are breeding. Well i dont have any shrimp from them yet but a couple females have eggs. One of my CPO's have eggs too. As for substrate i think your right. I have Fluval shrimp Stratum in my 55 gallon. However it kinda drained a lot of my money. For my yellows i have them on a black sand substrate and they seem fine along with my Blue pearls. I feed them Dennerle Invert food and i put in some Dennerle invert enhancers and plant enhancers.

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
If I remember correctly from my research, plant stratum is the same as shrimp stratum, only the balls of substrate are larger.

I was able to pickup the 17.7? pound bags of the stuff for about $33.00

For all your tanks you're talking about needing two bags of substrate, you'll probably have extra on the side.

Wanted to throw my thoughts out there to ya,

-Gordon

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey gordon thanks for the information. However i ordered 4 bags of Fluval Shrimp Stratum yesterday. Today i went to petco and got some Aqueon 10 gallon tanks and some H.O.B. filters. Take a look at these pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
215 Posts
just wondering where do u buy ur shrimp stratum?

disvegas,

If I remember correctly from my research, plant stratum is the same as shrimp stratum, only the balls of substrate are larger.

I was able to pickup the 17.7? pound bags of the stuff for about $33.00

For all your tanks you're talking about needing two bags of substrate, you'll probably have extra on the side.

Wanted to throw my thoughts out there to ya,

-Gordon
Hey gordon thanks for the information. However i ordered 4 bags of Fluval Shrimp Stratum yesterday. Today i went to petco and got some Aqueon 10 gallon tanks and some H.O.B. filters. Take a look at these pictures.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
Make sure you get intake sponges!
Yes, I found a full grown HUGE yellow shrimp the other day in the bottom of my aquaclear filter. Driving me nuts cause I counted 7, couldn't find #8 and there she was in the bottom of the filter chilling and the aquaclear 20 intakes aren't that big. I figured I'd wait on the sponge till they breed and I had babies to worry about, but nope, she still made it in.

·
Premium Member
7,997 Posts
I don't use HOB filters anymore, just a sponge filter on my cherry tanks. They crawl up the waterfall of the HOB and get into the filter that way too. Tricky little buggers, they'll find a way in, lol. They even crawl through that blue "bio filter" mechanism that blocks those aqueon HOBs

·
Registered
215 Posts
Most pet stores sell the stratum that I've seen. I get it at my local big al's store.
thank you.

Amazon.com Has 4.4 pound bags and 8.8 pound bags i think. EIther pounds or something else but they sell the 8.8 for 22 and 4.4 for 11 or so.
thank you.
http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/group/96121/product.web

I bought mine from here...the cost+shipping was the lowest I could find to my area...$8.99 a bag for 4.4 lbs...$10.99/bag shipped (I think I bought 8 bags last time).
thank you.
I may want to try it out in a small new tank later and see what would be any difference with the ones I currently use.

disvegas,

·
Banned
943 Posts
Yup, I didn't think a jumbo full grown yellow could fit through the little slots on a tiny Aquaclear 20, but there she was. lol.
Im trying to figure out how the propeller didnt kill it.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.