The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a couple red cherry shrimps in a fluval spec V 5 gallon tank and for some reason, the shrimp like to go into a gap at the edge of the gravel that sucks up tank water to cycle. They don't go into the filter because there is a sponge closing off the opening, but they take turns getting half way sucked in and using their little feet to pick around on the sponge and then flick their tails to get out and swim away. They voluntarily go in there and scavenge. I'm afraid that they will get their antennas brokern by doing this or that they will get stuck and won't be able to get out...any advice? Should I place a piece of sponge over he opening? Or is it fine to let them do their thing?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mine hang around the sponge of the filter cause they want to eat all the good stuff that is concentrated there. When I cleaned the filter noticed a couple on the filter media. They were fine. Was surprised how clean the filter was compared to the dirty fish tank filters.
I didn't even think of that! That's probably why they're so keen on getting their hands on it. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a piece of sponge covering the intake tube of my Aqua Clear filter on my shrimp tank, and it is one of the favourite places for my shrimp to hang out, grazing on whatever goodies they find there.
I think I will add a little extra sponge in there like you did so I don't lose a shrimp when it tries going into the slot! Thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.