The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just a quick question. I got some RCS a little while back and up until now they've been hiding around the tank and I haven't really been able to see more than one or two at a time. This morning I looked at the tank and saw that all of them are cruising around and they are extremely active. I did make a fresh batch for my DIY CO2, and I just wanted to make sure that this is normal behavior and not a sign of stress.

I really hope not because it's pretty funny watching them zip around the tank.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Definitely could be stress due to something in the tank conditions. Cherries don't tend to swarm and zip around much when somebody molts, unlike other species of shrimp. They will swim around from place to place in a relaxed manner, but they don't zip around like crystals or tigers do, in a frenzy, when somebody molts (molting released hormones in the water). If they are doing curlicues and look in a frenzy, they are more likely stressed due to toxic conditions.

I'd be suspicious of the tank changes. Check your pH if you can, and if not, shut off the CO2 and put on an air bubbler, or you may have a shrimp catastrophe overnight. If it's not the CO2 changes, you still wont hurt anything by doing this. I suspect your CO2 levels are sky high or pH way low, or the O2 has been depleted.

DK

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well they seem to have calmed down now, but they are not hiding like they normally do. Now they're all over the place and cleaning the plants. My PH is around 6.5, which is normal for this tank, but it was probably lower after I added the new batch of CO2. Next time I'll make sure to let the new batch sit for a few hours before I hook it up just to be safe.

Thanks for your help.

·
Opae Ula Crazed.
1,408 Posts
I used to have all of my shrimp in a planted tank that also housed fish. Because of the fish, the shrimp stayed hidden for much of the time. I never saw baby shrimp, either.

They are now living in their own 10 gallon tank, with a large clump of Java moss and duckweed. They are now active and out and about, swimming, walking and climbing the glass and catching rides on the duckweed with baby shrimp EVERYWHERE!

A shrimp only tank is the way to go!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.