The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay - so now that my worm issue is a bit more under control - I took a look at my female and my tank after class today and beheld a few tiny shrimp babies on the side of my tank!! I am so excited but I also don't know entirely how to care for these babies and don't want to kill them either. Luckily my filter is a shrimp filter and won't suck in my babies - however, I know they eat algae and seem to be content sitting on the tank walls. The one problem I know of is that I need to do a tank cleaning every week for a 25% water change and I don't want to suck up any babies by accident. Any ideas on how to go about this? I do have a gravel vacuum and a bucket but I really am afraid of sucking up the babies. The worms are harmless detritus worms so honestly I could leave them for a bit until the young ones grow up a bit so I don't risk sucking them up... but that is about the only thing I can think of.

·
Registered
1 Posts
JadeCrystal I wouldn't worry about it, when you do your water change just suck up the water close to the surface as long as you have enough plants around for these baby shrimps, and they will hide themselves naturally.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Put either a soaked airstone or sponge on the end of the hose you plan on using to do a water change. Pantyhose works, too.

Otherwise though, as long as the water parameters are good, you don't really need to do anything special for them.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well my water parameters are still pretty good, it is just trying to do frequent water changes to keep the worm population in check. I am very scared to use my gravel vacuum cause I worry I will suck up the small ones. which are extremely tiny.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.