The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apart from removing the aggressive shrimp in my tank any remedies to fix my betta’s fins and prevent any infections.

I think it was just the one shrimp that was literally stalking him, got that one out this morning. These are feeder ghost shrimp I got to help clean up the algae while work finding and fixing the algae issue.

As far I can tell my betta was in fine health, swimming about and eagerly eating.

Thank you

This morning

Before

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Clean water and healthy food will heal it back in no time.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited by Moderator)
Thanks Raith. That’s what I have found so far online. I was thinking of trying bettafix or stress coat? to help prevent infection, but I’ll hold off for now.

So I think I have figured out what is happening in my bizzaro aquarium where the bottom dwellers are at the top. Couple of weeks ago I tested 0 nitrates. In an effort to clean the algae and make some nitrates I bought some shrimp and added 5 Them and also a plecko (he died after a few days). I had a cucumber in there for my otos & shrimp and would drop in a couple of crab cuisine pellets & algae wafers that were gobbled up in no time

My thinking is 0 nitrates, minimal algae growth so the shrimp had nothing to eat (maybe also why my otos don’t work around the plants and glass). In their hunt for food my betta must have been an easy target.

I have bunch of food for the shrimp, a cucumber and carrot slice for everyone. Hopefully they will leave my betta alone so he can recover.

Also, been adding easy green fertilizer 2x a week now as prescribed

🤞

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All zeroes last check. Just did a water change on monday and everyone was cool. One of the shrimp was literally stalking him around the tank on Sunday. He grabbed him once when he got too close but I didn’t think Much of it. But he got him last night, so I’m sure he was super stressed out from being harrassed.

Shrimp are more content now that I put lots of food in for them. I think he will be okay as long as I keep them busy especially at night.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Are sure they are all ghost shrimp? I once had a shrimp attack my fish and eat fins and discovered I ended up with a machrobrachium that looks a lot like a ghosty but is much more aggressive.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are sure they are all ghost shrimp? I once had a shrimp attack my fish and eat fins and discovered I ended up with a machrobrachium that looks a lot like a ghosty but is much more aggressive.
Rushdoggie i don’t know , they are sold as feeder ghost shrimp at the pet store. Few of them were noticeably bigger 1” long. Aggressive for sure. The one was stalking my betta around the tank and I saw it grabbed and hold on to him once. Have a couple in another tank with tetras and they are right in the mayhem during feeding.

Freaky, never occurred to me shrimp would be that bold around fish. Thought they would spend most of the day in the palnts and on the bottom searching for food, not attacking fish.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Glad that I read this thread. I was temping to buy some ghost shrimp to mix in with my Amano shrimp which look so much alike but at a fraction of the price. Big mistake if I do as the ghost will likely devastate my Amano. Do ghost eat algae or prefer meat.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts