The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Sunday I noticed one of my yellow shrimp on it's side and it wasn't moving much. Every once in a while it would move a leg or two. So I didn't think much about it. I thought maybe it was something to do with it molting. Later on and I go back to find that it's dead and being ate by snails and shrimp. Two days later and the same thing happens to another shrimp. Today it happened again. That's 3 shrimp that I know of. My tank is heavily planted and I can't see everything, so could be more. My question is... does anyone have a clue why this would happen all of a sudden?

·
Registered
6,169 Posts
What about your temperature? Your pH *could* be a little high but yellows should be able to tolerate up to pH of 7.5. Shrimp might also be dying if you are feeding a protein only diet. Have you fed any blanched vegies lately? What have you been feeding them?

·
Registered
6,169 Posts
Hikari wafers.
Please be more specific. Are these the sinking wafers for pleco's and other bottom dwellers? Then the shrimp might be dying because you're providing them with a mainly protein diet. Feed them some blanched veggies every 3 days or so. If the wafers are made of only veggies I am stumped as to why they are dying.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Anything metallic in the tank?

I had the same thing happen in my shrimp tank... I tested the water, had the LFS test the water.... drove me nuts, until I got suspicious about the 'stainless steel' mesh I'd used to try and start a moss carpet. Called the hardware store, turns out it was zinc coated.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Please be more specific. Are these the sinking wafers for pleco's and other bottom dwellers? Then the shrimp might be dying because you're providing them with a mainly protein diet. Feed them some blanched veggies every 3 days or so. If the wafers are made of only veggies I am stumped as to why they are dying.
Yes they are the ones that say "great for algae eaters and plecos". I've been feeding them the same thing for over a year though.

Anything metallic in the tank?

I had the same thing happen in my shrimp tank... I tested the water, had the LFS test the water.... drove me nuts, until I got suspicious about the 'stainless steel' mesh I'd used to try and start a moss carpet. Called the hardware store, turns out it was zinc coated.
No metal in the tank.

·
ღ Miss ShrimpTastic! ஐ...
2,606 Posts
Brad the same thing happened to some of my bf's yellows before he moved them to another tank. 4 died 1-2 days apart from each other for no apparent reason. Water conditions pretty much the same as yours and the tank too is heavily planted...so reason of death? Still unknown...

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I can't figure it out. There are more dead this morning. At this rate, I want have any left in a week or so. The only things that have changed within the last month to this tank are a)added some needle leaf java fern and blyxa japonica
b)added some assassin snails

So logic would tell me that if I"m trying to figure out what's changed that could be affecting the shrimp, I would need to look at those 2 things. With regards to the plants. I guess it's possible that they had some sort of bacteria on them that has infected the shrimp. I'm not sure how I could confirm that though. Perhaps I can ask the seller if they have shrimp and have experienced this. As for the assassin snails. I don't know. It's my first time having them and there are plenty of snails for them to eat, plus I haven't seen them anywhere near the shrimp.

I'm really puzzled as to why they would start dropping like flies all of a sudden.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
Never had any prob's with assassins in a tank with shrimp. Could have been something with the new plants. Best thing I suggest would be maybe start doing some big WC's. Not too big as to upset your parm's too much, but enough to try and get any free floating bacteria in the water out.

Black spot disease is a big one with shrimp, does it look like the shrimp has any black/brown on the side of its head? Parasites are the next thing to look for. Try and look closely at the shrimp with a magnifying glass and see if you can see any worms or white marks on the sides or inside the shrimp moving around.

A good treatment for both and has been shrimp safe, at least for me and others I've read about, is Seachem Paraguard. Doesn't have any copper or anything that seems harmful to shrimp, plants or your filter. I had an outbreak of vortellio (sp) in my cherry tank and dipping the shrimp in a high salt solution knocked the parasites off the shrimp in the dip and big daily water changes seemed to remove them from the water column.

I would say try and get a good look at your shrimp for any signs. Also, look at the plants for signs of Hydra as well, as a big infestation of them can take out baby/juvi shrimp, but not usually adults.

·
ღ Miss ShrimpTastic! ஐ...
2,606 Posts
Brad if you google black spot disease it should lead you to tons o information and what people did to treat it. I remembered the two best methods would use minor antiviral meds and frequent but small water changes. Like every other day by 5% or something. The spots are rather obvious looking from what I see and especially on yellows I'm sure it'll be obvious.

As for the assassin snails, I wouldn't say they are 100% shrimp safe but in this case looks like they aren't the trouble if you see fully intacked shrimp carcasses. My bf and I once literally saw an assassin go after a cherry shrimp while it was busy eating; "stung" it somehow and ate it while the little swimmers were still moving. This was a rare case that we saw in a very very long time, nevertheless, we didn't want to bred that aggressiveness in our assassins so it got thrown out. Lol

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well I just googled it and didn't really see any pictures. But I don't think my shrimp have that anyways. They look perfectly normal. They're just dropping like flies. I'm at a loss as to what is going on. I'm going to do a big water change and try the seachem paraguard I guess. I don't see any parasites or spots or anything abnormal, but I don't see how I can hurt anything at this point by dosing the paraguard.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.