The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to keeping shrimp and will be setting up my first tank shortly. I have some of questions:

My KH out of the tap starts at 20 ppm with a PH of 7.6. It remains stable after 24 hours of letting it sit. I have been using Seachem Acid and Alkaline buffers to adjust the water parameters by first crashing the KH/PH of the water, then working it back up to the desired PH and KH range using both acid and alkaline buffers. I achieve very precise results using this method.

My question here is if there is anything in these products or in the methodology I use that will impact the shrimp negatively?

Also, my GH starts out at 30 ppm. I have been using Seachem Equilibrium to raise the GH to the desired level. Same questions as above regarding use of the Seachem buffers.

Using RO/DI water for me isn't practical. No choice but to use tap water. Can I use products like the Salty Shrimp KH / GH products with this water using the same methodology as above, meaning crash the KH / PH first while leaving the GH as is as a starting point? Is there something else to use that would be more tailored for the shrimp while still raising the GH to a desired level (something better than the Equilibrium)?

Finally, bacteria seeding. Anything that I should use that will be fine for the shrimp?

·
Registered
293 Posts
What shrimp are you planning to keep?

IMO, you're better off just using the SS Gh +.

Finally, bacteria seeding. Anything that I should use that will be fine for the shrimp?
Do you have another cycled tank around?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What shrimp are you planning to keep?

IMO, you're better off just using the SS Gh +.

Do you have another cycled tank around?
Sorry for the delayed response.

I am planning on keeping Tiger Shrimp to start with Amano in the main tank. Eventually, with more experience, I want to keep CRS / CBS and Sulawesi Harlequin Shrimp.

I don't have an established tank yet, but by the time I set this up, I will.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.