The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who keep your shrimp in planted tanks, how do you handle water changes?
Do shrimp like water changes, or prefer to be left alone as much as possible? Large or small water changes?
I only have neos and amanos at the moment
I do use RO water (and SS gh+) so matching parameters is not a big deal for me

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
just like with fish every one has their way of doing it. i keep planted tanks and have shrimp in them. some are the other way with shrimp tanks and a few plants. i say go off your parameters. i dont tend to do water changes very often. i check the parameters weekly and when they tds starts creeping i change. i have gone as long as 3 months with out a change and there are times i change every week. i wouldnt go more than 30% at a time although im sure do 50%. alot will depend on the type of shrimp you have. its always good to drip the wate in with sensitive shrimp

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
See the reason I ask is because my tank is moderately-heavily planted and I am dosing via the EI method which calls for regular large water changes to reset fert levels. I am wanting to get away from that..but don't want my plants die off

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My current routine:
Water change on saturday. I change roughly 50% of the water (three 5 gallon buckets). The fresh RO water comes out with a TDS of 2, then i add a scoop of salty shrimp bee shrimp gh+ to each 5 gallon bucket and add the water to the tank. So the parameters of the water I am adding are obviously different (thats how I keep my tds/gh/nitrates in check) which is why I am worried about stressing my shrimp with such a large water change.
I dose 1 time a week (macros on sunday morning, micros on monday morning) and follow the low light EI method found on petalphile. My tds stays under 250 by the end of the week.

This is a 29 gallon tank with only about 30 rcs, 2 amanos, and 7 rummy nose tetra (planning on giving the fish to a friend when his tank gets established and turning this into a rcs and malawa breeding ground)

·
Registered
584 Posts
Since I'm sitting right here I snapped a pic

Five gallons changed 100% weekly (5 g tank)
midweek I'm feeding various custom feed pellets

My shrimp don't mind 100% changes, if they do go ahead and become fertilizer lol. The adapted will be left with vigor :)

Red cherries up to 200 now surprising none in the pic. At feed time its a skirmish

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.