The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My planted tank is almost to the point of adding fish, I really want puffers and I really want shrimp. Not sure about the combination. I have read that its hit and miss if puffers will go for the shrimp. Does anyone have experience with both in the same tank?

Also with shrimp they are sensitive to nitrates? but the water should be high in nitrates for plants right? so whats the balance? whats a good PPM amount to have?

·
Registered
170 Posts
I haven't the experience but my instinct tells me the shrimp/puffer combination is not going to work. I could be wrong mind and I'm sure someone WITH experience will come along, but I wouldn't risk it myself.

Hey - you could just get another tank for your shrimp and let them have their own set-up! Heehee - there's always a reason for another tank

·
Registered
721 Posts
I know some people claim their dwarf puffers get along fine with their cherry shrimp or amano shrimp or whatever, but it didn't work for me. My DP would constantly harass the shrimp and even killed 1 before I moved him to his own tank.

·
Fear the Swamp!
2,512 Posts
I kept a DP in a 5.5 gal tank with cherry shrimp. The shrimp had plenty of moss and plants to hide and breed in, but the population never really grew.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I think your best chance of survival for the shrimp is to get a good colony of them going first before you add the puffer in.

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
i see this about once a week, while the idea is really cool, it simply will not work. shrimp are readily consumed by all puffer species, even the dwarf types. there really is no way for this to work out... sorry to say, don't bother..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts