The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted in the equipment forum last night but haven't gotten a response so I thought I would try here and see if anyone could answer my question. I'm thinking about getting a Koralia powerhead but wanted to know if they harm/kill shrimp and shrimpletts?

·
Registered
584 Posts
Shrimps typically don't like high current but that alone shouldn't outright kill them, especially if you have some low flow areas in the tank for them to chill at. There is however a very definite likelihood of shrimps being sucked into the powerhead and killed, especially shrimpletts. You would need to try and cover the intake with a sponge, which I don't think is that easy with Koralias.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
If i used one in my shrimp tanks, I'd put a panty hose over it, although thats going to collect a lot of debris and probably need to be rinsed off and cleaned alot.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Use a sponge-filter on the intake. Takes care of your filtration, and won't clog nearly as quickly as without one. don't know if the koralias can accomodate one.
It doesn't seem/look like the Koralia could, do you have a recommendation on a powerhead that would?

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
It doesn't seem/look like the Koralia could, do you have a recommendation on a powerhead that would?
I know for sure that the AquaClear line of powerheads has a sponge filter attachment that is specifically designed for them. I am not the biggest fan of AquaClear products, but I think that their powerheads are some of the best out there currently. (I am a big Marineland fan, but this is one area that AquaClear definitely beats them out...)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts