The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm setting up a new 125 gallon tank and will have overflows draining down to the sump below. The sump will hold all of the ugly hardware like heaters and filter media and other such items. I'd like to make this a shrimp tank, but don't want a sump full of shrimp. The return pump won't be very shrimp friendly.

Are there any precautions I can take to keep the fry out of or away from the overflows? Or should I just not worry about it since they stay on the bottom and won't go near the overflows anyway?

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I would worry, I don't have an overflow on my track, but I watch my shrimp climb up the spill way on my hob filters.

I would recommend stainless steel mesh out filter foam over the overflow, something water will drain through but shrimp don't fit, that extends a half inch or so above the water line. Or you let them get into the overflow, ride to the sump and let them be and just isolate them from the return pump, either a sheet of foam as a divider, or a pre filter for the pump

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I like the SS mesh idea. I thought of something like that, but thought they would just climb over it. They don't climb over as long as it extends above the water line?

·
Registered
357 Posts
my worry with mesh on the overflow would be obstruction building up. Not sure how likely that is, but that would be my worry. In my case, I ended up with a colony of shrimp in the tank, and a colony in the sump. The sump shrimp seemed just as happy as the tank ones.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I've never observed my shrimp above the water line. In very shallow water on the spillway sure, but never out of the water. Also when u do water changes any shrimp that happens to be in a location where they end up above the water, freaks out and flopped around until they land back in the water, so mesh above the water should be fine.

As with anything maintenance would be required to keep it clear and un obstructed for the over flow. It all depends how much debris is already in the tank

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.