The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am working on setting up my first shrimp tank and everything I have read says that shrimp love moss. I was leaning toward java moss, however when looking for some at my LFS the owner told me that he considered it a weed. From his experience it grows wild and will choke out other plants. I was unsure about this, but wanted some other opinions. Also, is there a better moss for shrimp? I am wanting to start with yellow or OEBT.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
For me, there is 2 ways to go. If you want a planted tank with a few shrimp, then go with plants and whatever else. If you want a shrimp tank, go with moss only and a few floating plants. I usually get a piece of driftwood and tie moss to it with fishing string, as it lets tannins soak out of the water from the wood, gives the baby shrimp lots of hiding places in the wood and the moss gives them and the babies a source for micro-organisms to grow on which they eat. If you want a shrimp breeding tank, keep it simple, no plants means no CO2, no ferts, easy to maintain and easy to see all your shrimp and find them, monitor them, etc. In a hugely planted tank, its hard to see your shrimp, then you don't know if they are dying or hiding until one day you have no shrimp left. Keeping it to a minimum lets you watch the shrimp and babies.

Java moss is fine, most of us use it or xmas moss or some sort. Without ferts and co2, it doesn't grow that fast and when it does, you just rip some off and use it for your next shrimp tank, because once you start with one, you can't stop. lol.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
How about fissidens?
Fissidens is really cool. Apparently prefers a slightly cooler temperature to thrive. It looks really cool especially hanging off of driftwood, etc.

Java moss seems to be the one moss that can thrive at tropical fish community tank temperatures.

Granted most shrimp breeding (besides Neos like Red Cherry Shrimp) is going to require a lower temp in the 70s so the moss liking a cooler temp may not be such an issue.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
Mosses aren't known for being crazy fast growers... If you want to use java moss, go ahead, but know that eventually, as with virtually any plant, you're going to have to trim it back. It's just the way of things.
It also works good for transporting shrimp. Most people I've bought from locally put a piece of it in the bag for the shrimp to hang on to on the long ride home.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.