The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've done some poking around and it seems like

1) inverts are much more sensitive to CO2 and pretty much anything than fish (in general; not talking about like RCS vs discus or anything)
2) it's better to keep shrimp in non CO2 tanks (don't really know the reasoning or if this is true)

So if I wanted to keep shrimp as my cleanup crew, what special considerations should I be thinking about (or is not suggested)? I have a high tech tank, meaning high lighting, pressurized CO2 yielding a daily pH shifts of more than 1 point, and EI dosing. If I put some RCS in there would they be fine?

Thanks TPT invert gurus.

·
Registered
430 Posts
There's a video out there where some Germans went to Taiwan and video taped some of the professional breeders. All of them were using CO2 to keep the PH down in the 5.8 to 6 range.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There's a video out there where some Germans went to Taiwan and video taped some of the professional breeders. All of them were using CO2 to keep the PH down in the 5.8 to 6 range.
Good to know. I'm not keeping the pH stable though. In the morning before the lights come on, my pH is 7.5ish, and at night just after the lights go out, my pH is 6.3 or 6.4.

·
Banned
4,616 Posts
Honestly, all it really does is slow down reproduction of the shrimp. Unless you are going nuts with co2, I wouldn't really worry.

I keep my blue tigers and RCS in a high tech and they are fine.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Honestly, all it really does is slow down reproduction of the shrimp. Unless you are going nuts with co2, I wouldn't really worry.

I keep my blue tigers and RCS in a high tech and they are fine.
Thanks for the info! As far as reproduction goes, how do you keep the long term population of a tank from exploding? Does the food supply eventually cap the population or should I expect RCS to keep multiplying until I have like 1000 in my tank?

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
Thanks for the info! As far as reproduction goes, how do you keep the long term population of a tank from exploding? Does the food supply eventually cap the population or should I expect RCS to keep multiplying until I have like 1000 in my tank?
Fish in the tank. Most med+ size fish will eat little bugs from the water, a tiny bity baby shrimp looks like the same thing, so they may help keep your population in check. lol.

·
Banned
4,616 Posts
It all depends on your filtration and maintenance routine. There is no real "cap" if you keep your water and tank extremely clean. lol

However, most people aren't capable of this except mass breeders and the like.

Most people typically just start selling offspring off to keep it under control. I know I have issues with keeping my RCS population under control in my high tech. For every 100, I sell, I have another 300 born and repeat and rinse. lol Or you get fish that eat them lol

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It all depends on your filtration and maintenance routine. There is no real "cap" if you keep your water and tank extremely clean. lol

However, most people aren't capable of this except mass breeders and the like.

Most people typically just start selling offspring off to keep it under control. I know I have issues with keeping my RCS population under control in my high tech. For every 100, I sell, I have another 300 born and repeat and rinse. lol Or you get fish that eat them lol
I see... I just plan to have harlequin rasboras and cardinals in there for now... they are too small to eat the adults but they should eat the offspring, I think. Yeah my water won't be too "clean" because I always have like 40ppm nitrates in it from EI dosing.

·
Premium Member
7,997 Posts
They are using CO2 to lower the pH, not to feed plants. That's two completely different goals. You forgot to mention they're also running airstones and air-powered filters to gas off the co2.

In your case, amano shrimp are pretty hardy, they will do well in a high tech tank.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Would Amanos be a better fit than RCS? Because I was thinking RCS originally since they seem like the hardiest species and it would be cool to have lots on my tank bottom, but the algae eating Amanos sound good as well. I heard they like to venture and explore areas outside of the tank and end up as dried carcasses on the floor though.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I'd go with both Amanos and RCS because they are both fun to watch. I've never had any Amanos jump out of my open 11.4g, but I believe others have. It gives you a reason to buy a few more, though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.