The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
GEEK
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 10 gallon tank with CRS and RCS, and currently just 6 otos. I was thinking about adding C. habrosus and/or pygmaeus from invertz factory. My concern is whether or not these little corys would go after shrimplets. The tank is heavilly planted and there are lots of hiding spots, but I'd like to guage what my losses might be. Also, do you know if these guys would eat copepods? There are a ton of copepods, and it would be great to have a fish that would eat it. Thank you in advance.

·
GEEK
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the information. I've heard that some dwarf corys may develop a taste for shrimplets and thus go after them. Have you found this to be true?

·
Registered
361 Posts
I currently have 7 pygmies and 1 habrosus cory with my RCS and have no issues. Actually the cories and baby shrimp eat from the same sinking disks all at once.

Josh

·
Registered
492 Posts
l've been keeping cory cats since the 60s... never seen them bother fry of any species.
however, if you feed frozen brine be aware that your baby shrimp will closely resemble a known food source for any fish...

hth
Larry

·
GEEK
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I currently have 7 pygmies and 1 habrosus cory with my RCS and have no issues. Actually the cories and baby shrimp eat from the same sinking disks all at once.

Josh
Have your pygmies ever spawned in your tank? My otos spawn regularly after a water change, and I wonder if the cories would as well.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Have your pygmies ever spawned in your tank? My otos spawn regularly after a water change, and I wonder if the cories would as well.
I have yet to see any spawn. I just added a group of 4 a few days ago so maybe the added numbers will help. I really have to look up some info on breeding the little guys.

·
Registered
65 Posts
My pygmies are great buds with my shrimp. Like the earlier comment by jmelnek they dine together on the same sinking wafer disk.

Besides, I think shrimps are quick/swift enough to escape any pygmy cory attacks (if any).

Randy

·
Registered
553 Posts
I have a 5.5 gallon with pygmies, RCS and CRS. Both shrimp species are doing great, and population has exploded on the CRS side of the house. I've actually seen my larger CRS steal away a piece of algea wafer (or whatever food I'm feeding at the time) from my RCS and pygmies.

·
GEEK
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you all for the great information. I love how the little corys look. They're so cute.

vca2004: yes, I have managed to save a total of two baby otos. They are about a third of the size of their parents now, maybe about 3-4 months old. Seems like the otos spawn about monthly a few days after a big water change. The eggs usually either disappear or hatch and the fry disappear before their egg sacs are fully absorbed. I wonder if the shrimp are eating the oto eggs.

·
GEEK
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Beautiful pics! Thanks for sharing them! The baby oto is very cute and you have really nice looking CRS and CBS.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts