The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read in an article about EI and RCS that the copper in CSM could possibly inhibit activity and color. The author stopped dosing that and KNO3 with positive results.

My questions are whether Flourish is similar to CSM in that respect and whether it would do any harm to either dose liquid K or KSO4.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
Any foods that are fed shrimp have small amounts of copper, which I imagine flourish only has 0.0x percents of it. Copper is fine in micro amounts as they get get from food and all sources. Its when people dose copper based medication that people have noticed problems.

As for CSM, I'm not sure what that is.

·
Banned
943 Posts
I dont know how much iron/copper is in ADA step 1 however I have used that + Potassium (I think its potassium) with no ill effects. Howver I am probably underdosing and only dose every once in a while.

·
Banned
943 Posts
You would literally need to dose 700% in order for the copper to become toxic to invertebrates. You are fine :)
Ive been wondering who is that in your avatar? Sorry lol, random question.

·
Banned
4,616 Posts
Here are my thoughts, as I did the exact same experiment.

Co2 is really the main cause of shrimp deaths and low breeding, not fertilizers.

I have a control tank, which does not get any co2 or ferts. Then there is the high tech tank that gets ferts and co2, and then a 3rd tank that gets the same amount of ferts as the high tech tank in comparison to its size. At the end of the experiment, I was was getting the same amount of breeding in the non-co2/fert tank as the non-co2 with fert tank, but the high tech tank did not have as much breeding as the other two.

That is within my own experiments and tanks however.

Ive been wondering who is that in your avatar? Sorry lol, random question.
LOL, it is me.

·
Banned
943 Posts
Here are my thoughts, as I did the exact same experiment.

Co2 is really the main cause of shrimp deaths and low breeding, not fertilizers.

I have a control tank, which does not get any co2 or ferts. Then there is the high tech tank that gets ferts and co2, and then a 3rd tank that gets the same amount of ferts as the high tech tank in comparison to its size. At the end of the experiment, I was was getting the same amount of breeding in the non-co2/fert tank as the non-co2 with fert tank, but the high tech tank did not have as much breeding as the other two.

That is within my own experiments and tanks however.

LOL, it is me.
huh .... damn youre hot for a fish (or shrimp I guess lol) chick.

·
Banned
4,616 Posts
Nope, because the point of having the co2 is for plant growth. Adding an airstone would just gas off the co2 that I actually want in the tank.

Now if I was using co2 to maintain a certain pH, then yes, I would use airstones.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I thought you could just increase the CO2 flow rate into the tank to compensate for the loss of CO2 from the surface agitation caused by the airstone? I've read several places that CO2 and oxygen concentration are independent of each other and its possible to have both. Was that wrong?

·
Banned
943 Posts
I thought you could just increase the CO2 flow rate into the tank to compensate for the loss of CO2 from the surface agitation caused by the airstone? I've read several places that CO2 and oxygen concentration are independent of each other and its possible to have both. Was that wrong?
I too have heard that as well. Logic would tell me both can exsist at the same time however too much of one will displace the other. Hence an airstone would reduce the total amount of co2 that could be present.

Of course I have no idea.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I dose my Ebi with Flourish, Flourish Trace and Leaf Zone a couple of times a week. I currently have 3 berried and 5 saddled yellows in it. I've even put Flourish Excel in it a couple of times, but not lately. No deaths and they are all active.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
I too have heard that as well. Logic would tell me both can exsist at the same time however too much of one will displace the other. Hence an airstone would reduce the total amount of co2 that could be present.

Of course I have no idea.
They do not replace eachother.
Water does have a saturation limit for both o2 and co2.
A portion of dissolved co2 makes an ionic bond with h2o to form Carbonic Acid or H2(CO3).
The higher concentration of o2 in the water the more co2 fish and probably inverts can handle.
You would be off-gassing co2, but if you can pump it in faster than you off gas it then its not a big deal.
As far as plant growth is concerned, it's better to add o2 so you don't kill your fish, and then raise co2 more.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.